Despite enjoying a 13-0 head-to-head record against Kohlschreiber coming into the contest, Federer said his mindset ahead of the deciding third set was to somehow avoid an early defeat against the German.
Federer got back his focus on his service games in the decider to concede just 2 points on serve for the entire set.
The final game of the set was a nine-minute thriller, with the Swiss seed saving three set points before Kohlschreiber levelled the match with a volley victor.More news: A 7-Minute Pokemon-Focused Nintendo Direct Is Happening Tomorrow
"I've had a very successful run here in the past, some good and some also not so good, that's how sport is".
"I think he (Verdasco) has got one of those wonderful forehands on tour".
"We've seen the great shot-making he has been able to produce over the course of his career".
"Hopefully [I will] in a few days' time but I still have a long way to go and I hope I don't have to speak about my 100th title for years or weeks or months to come". He can definitely peak against the top guys.More news: Energizer's Smartphone With An 18000 mAh Battery is Absolutely Ridiculous
The second seeded Swiss has never lost to Verdasco in six meetings, last beating the 35-year-old Spaniard in Dubai en route to the title four years ago.
Meanwhile, Russian fourth seed Karen Khachanov and Canadian seventh seed Milos Raonic suffered first-round defeats against unseeded opponents yesterday.
Basilashvili will play for a spot in the quarterfinals against defending champion Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain, who beat Indian wild card Ramkumar Ramanathan 6-4, 6-3.
The 20-time Grand Slam victor broke the German in the first game and barely looked in trouble as he won the first set in just 31 minutes.More news: $479M Pentagon Contract With Microsoft Is Justified, CEO Contends
Khachanov, 22, lost 6-4, 6-1 to Georgian world number 19 Nikoloz Basilashvili, while Raonic, 28, was beaten 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 by Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff.
- Bradley Cooper received advice from Jennifer Lopez before Lady Gaga Oscars performance
- U.N.: Afghan civilian deaths record high in 2018
- Tainted liquor kills dozens in India's Assam state
- Warren Buffett says he’d support Bloomberg for president
- BBC and ITV to launch streaming service Britbox
- Microsoft Reporting Dropping Two New Xbox Systems By 2020
- Zarif is in charge of Iran's foreign policy, says head Quds forces
- Spotify music streaming service enters Indian market
- Pete Davidson Throws Man Out Of Show After Mac Miller Comment
- Rumor: Xbox App and Game Pass Coming to Nintendo Switch