Michigan State will travel to Madison to take on their conference rivals.
Happ was the only Badger to score multiple field goals in the second half, and before sophomore guard Brad Davison hit a garbage time three-pointer with ten seconds remaining, Wisconsin had gone the previous five minutes and 10 seconds without a single point. A Spartan perimeter defense that struggled in the first half held Badgers not named Happ to only eight second-half points. The last, and only, time MI coach John Beilein was ejected from a game before Tuesday at Penn State was when he coached Erie Community College in 1979.
Happ connected on a layup over Ward with 35 seconds to send Wisconsin into halftime up, 38-37. A game that had been frenetic and fast-paced in the first half slowed down considerably in the second half, taking on the tempo and personality more befitting of the Badgers than the Spartans. Wisconsin is 5-2 ATS in their last seven home games and 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games following a straight-up loss. He went 0-for-6 from the stripe and committed five turnovers in the second half to give the Spartans momentum down the stretch. With two technical fouls assessed to Beilein, the Nittany Lions would hit three of four free throws to start the half before Zavier Simpson hit a trey in transition, 18 seconds into the half to nullify the free throws.More news: Sri Lanka's green seamers 'caught us off guard', admits Quinton de Kock
"They were not giving our three point shooters much room", head coach Greg Gard said after the game. Iowa's Megan Gustafson tied the conference record with her 77th career double-double, with 29 points and 16 rebounds against Ohio State last Sunday.
In doing so, the Michigan State (20-5, 11-3 Big Ten) star outdueled Wisconsin's Ethan Happ, who scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds.
"We have to be more complete when we get to the free throw line, get the ball to a high percentage area and be able to complete that". Nate Reuvers added 11 points. Then Winston scored on a layup, hit a jumper and dished to Goins for a 3-pointer to give the Spartans their largest lead at the time at 49-46 with 14:30 left.More news: James Tate fear over if racing can resume this week
In addition to the stout defensive showing, Michigan State out-rebounded Wisconsin 40-28.
Wisconsin: The Badgers, who had their six-game winning streak snapped on Saturday by MI, missed out on a chance to keep pace with the conference leaders.
For the most part, things have gone swimmingly for MI basketball during the 2018-19 season and until Tuesday's terrible loss at Penn State, everything seemed to be going to plan. Wisconsin beat IL in Champaign earlier this season, 72-60, behind a career night from Reuvers.More news: Ressa posts bail for cyberlibel charge
- Spike Lee casts Chadwick Boseman in first film since Blakkklansman
- Browns will have zero-tolerance policy with Hunt, says GM
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation chief claims alliance preparing defensive measures for 'INF-free world'
- Pentagon fears China, Russia pose challenge to US space capabilities
- E-cigarette use 'skyrocketing' among young Americans, says US health agency
- Raphael Honigstein reveals what he knows about Jurgen Klopp’s future
- Report reveals more details about Google’s products for 2019
- Federal Bureau of Investigation releases hand-drawn sketches of alleged victims after serial killer's confession
- FEMA Administrator Brock Long Says He Will Step Down
- Shawn Layden’s Comments on PS4 Cross-Play Clash with Wargoove Developer’s Experience