Fernando took two wickets in his first spell _ removing openers Dean Elgar (0) and Aiden Markram (11) _ and finished with 4-62 as Sri Lanka jumped at the chance to put South Africa in to bat on a green pitch at Kingsmead that offered as much help to bowlers as it promised.
Temba Bavuma and Du Plessis rode out the early storm and gradually started to change the momentum in a 72-run partnership which was ended in the last over before lunch when Du Plessis was caught down the legside by wicketkeeper Niroshan Dickwella off Rajitha for 35.
"Very smartly our cameraman focused on the coaching staff and we saw the coach (Darren Lehmann) get on the walkie-talkie to the player down on the field (Peter Handscomb), who ran on to speak with Bancroft".More news: Enes Kanter signs deal with Portland Trail Blazers
Fernando dismissed Elgar with his fourth delivery before a run had been scored and should have had the wicket of Hashim Amla two balls later.
On-field umpires Aleem Dar and Richard Kettleborough combined to make three errors, one of them a weird one when they refused a perfectly good decision review by the Sri Lankans.
The resumption of play after lunch brought the fifth wicket, as Bavuma was removed in the most unfortunate fortune for a well-played 47 after a straight shot from his batting partner, Quinton de Kock ricocheted off bowler, Vishwa Fernando on to the stumps, with the non-striker short of his ground.More news: John Wall To Miss 12 Months Due To Ruptured Achilles
He appealed passionately for a leg before wicket decision and the Sri Lankans were ruled to have taken too long before asking for a review of umpire Aleem Dar's decision. And so did Karunaratne who told the debutant not to review it. Karunaratne's signal was within the 15 seconds, according to the TV broadcasters. Scratch that, replays show that it was missing the leg stump. Perera took 16 wickets at an average of 13.00 when Sri Lanka won both home Tests against South Africa as recently as last July. Replays showed it carried comfortably and Gould got it right this time and sent Amla on his way. De Kock reviewed that decision, and it proved the ball came off his elbow, not bat or glove.
When is South Africa vs Sri Lanka taking place? .
Pressure will be on South Africa but they have the luxury of five bowlers. Since then, it has lost at home to England and away to New Zealand and Australia. He made one of only three half-centuries for Sri Lanka when they were beaten in all three Tests in South Africa in 2016/17.More news: IBM’s AI machine loses debate against a human
- 5 talking points from Tottenham Hotspur’s 3-0 win over Borussia Dortmund
- Macedonia officially changes name to North Macedonia
- Apple iPhone sales fall in China
- Israeli Strike in Syrian Golan Destroyed Iranian Observation Network
- President Trump Has Room-Sized Golf Simulator Installed at White House
- Browns will have zero-tolerance policy with Hunt, says GM
- Shawn Layden’s Comments on PS4 Cross-Play Clash with Wargoove Developer’s Experience
- Reddit raises $300 million in finance round led by China's Tencent
- Federal Bureau of Investigation releases hand-drawn sketches of alleged victims after serial killer's confession
- Shakedown run with RB15 put a smile on Verstappen's face