Former "American Idol" contestant Antonella Barba was working as a courier for a major drug ring and was trying to deliver almost 2 pounds of the deadly synthetic opioid fentanyl when she was arrested in Virginia past year, according to new reports.
Barba was originally arrested last October in Norfolk Virginia.
A former contestant on "American Idol" and "Fear Factor" is accused of distributing heroin.More news: Former US Air Force officer Monica Witt charged with spying for Iran
The indictment describes what appears to be a drug ring involving Barba, Justin Michael Isaac, Rawl Christopher Stennett and several other unnamed defendants in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.
The indictment, which is heavily redacted, names two men as her alleged co-conspirators.
A detention hearing for Barba is set for Thursday in US District Court in Norfolk. On another occasion, Stennett allegedly gave a fellow conspirator around 15 pounds of cocaine.
Last week, she was indicted in a series of 11 federal charges.More news: Michelle Obama's Mom Doesn't Think She's a "Real Star"
Now, the federal charges identified in the indictment carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.
In addition to this federal indictment, Barba is also facing charges in a felony marijuana case in Kansas.
File photo showing Antonella Barba attending Entertainment Weekly's Annual Must List Party at Gotham Hall, in New York City, on June 21, 2007.
A New Jersey native, Barba was an American Idol hopeful in the same season that saw Jordin Sparks crowned the eventual victor. She, along with many other former Idol stars, also participated in a "We Are the World" parody on Jimmy Kimmel Live! in May of a year ago.More news: Amazon is acquiring WiFi router company Eero
- Morgan Stanley to buy Calgary-based Solium Capital for $1.1 billion
- NASA rover finally bites the dust on Mars after 15 years
- Leonardo DiCaprio & Martin Scorsese To Produce Limited Series For Hulu
- Pentagon fears China, Russia pose challenge to US space capabilities
- Texas couple jailed after children found neglected
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy could be getting a Nintendo Switch release this summer
- Woman wanted in chair tossing off balcony surrenders to police
- Teen Defies Anti-Vax Parents, Speaks Out
- Westbrook savours breaking long-standing triple-double record
- Breaking Bad Movie: Vince Gilligan’s Feature to Air on Netflix & AMC