Billed as one of the more exciting last-16 ties, the first leg started off a restrained affair as Spurs resolutely held back the Bundesliga leaders in the first half.
The former Gunners boss is now working as a pundit but claims he wanted to bring the England star to London from Manchester as the Frenchman saw the youngster as one of the best players of his generation. They deserve a lot of praise for the effort they are doing this season.
"It's not finished, we have to focus on the second game too".
His link-up with Pulisic, Gotze et al was a joy to behold and although he faded away like his team in second-half as Spurs took control, he certainly gave people the bang for their buck.More news: Ryan Adams accused of sexual misconduct, emotional abuse by seven women
He added: "It's only the first leg, it's only the first half of the tie - 3-0 is a very good result but when you have a team like Borussia Dortmund, always you need to respect and we need to think that we need to go to Dortmund with the idea to win".
"Today it's 3-0 and maybe everyone says, "Oh, fantastic decision", or maybe if it's a different result I'm the worst coach in the world", he said.
Having been let off the hook after a potentially game-changing error by Foyth, Spurs did not pick up from there and continued their wobbly form for nearly the entirety of the first half.
"The first half was very hard".More news: Ramos to make 600th Real Madrid appearance
"We should have got the ball forward rather than played from the back for their first goal".
"After that we played a bit too hastily". But Tottenham's manager played down the success of his tactics.
Despite being pushed back for much of the first half, Tottenham had refused to surrender and their perseverance was rewarded in the 47th minute.
Suddenly, Dortmund had no answers to Tottenham's high-tempo pressing and it was Vertonghen who was the hosts' unlikely hero in the 83rd minute as he volleyed home from Serge Aurier's cross.More news: Spike Lee casts Chadwick Boseman in first film since Blakkklansman
- Former 'American Idol' Contestant Facing Federal Drug Charges
- Breaking Bad Movie: Vince Gilligan’s Feature to Air on Netflix & AMC
- Leonardo DiCaprio & Martin Scorsese To Produce Limited Series For Hulu
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation chief claims alliance preparing defensive measures for 'INF-free world'
- Teen Defies Anti-Vax Parents, Speaks Out
- NASA rover finally bites the dust on Mars after 15 years
- James Tate fear over if racing can resume this week
- Terrorists target IRGC bus in southeastern Iran
- Windies Cricketer Gets Four-Match Ban For Alleged Homophobic Comment
- Woman wanted in chair tossing off balcony surrenders to police