Westbrook, finished the game with 21 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists.
The Thunder eventually held on to secure a fourth consecutive win, which improved their record for the season to 37-19 and strengthened their grip onto third place in the Western Conference rankings.
Chalk up another triple-double record for Russell Westbrook.
The triple-double for Westbrook against the Trail Blazers was the 127th of his 11-year career, and the 23rd this season.More news: Bebe Rexha turns to Bahraini designer for her Grammy Awards look
After Westbrook drained the 3, he and George met at midcourt, jumping and celebrating together.
"This is the best I've felt mentally", George added. With 45 points against James Harden and the Houston Rockets on Saturday, George has scored 92 points in his past two tilts. "I think a lot of the things he does that he gets attention for in terms of the triple-doubles are things that impact winning for our team".
But his teammate, Paul George, as versatile as he is, is not as accustomed to achieving the feat as Westbrook. "Usually, Russ has that by the first quarter".
"It was special from the second the ball was tipped off", said George. Oscar Robertson is the only other player in league history to have averaged a triple-double throughout a season. But he told me the situation.
Westbrook figured he might as well get a different kind of assist. "Just felt incredible. The energy was awesome".More news: Bill Cosby Spokesman Says Cosby Thinks Prison is "Amazing Experience"
The six-time All-Star admitted he had not realized the landmark was just one assist away. Robertson is first with 181.
Paul George is averaging 28.7 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.3 steals over 36.2 minutes per game while shooting 45.4 percent from the floor, 41.3 percent from 3-point range and 83.6 percent from the free-throw line.
"I'm just excited for Russell", George said during his post-game on court interview. And whatever happens, happens.
"Just to be able to wake and be able to have a job, have a jersey, have a name on your back, because to me that's a blessing itself and something I never even dreamed about as a kid".More news: US Breast Cancer Deaths Averted Over Three Decades
- Morgan Stanley to buy Calgary-based Solium Capital for $1.1 billion
- Senator calls for Google, Apple to drop Saudi app that monitors women
- Oil rises 2% on Saudi Arabia, OPEC cuts
- Anthony Joshua to fight Jarrell Miller in U.S. on June 1
- George Clooney says Meghan being harassed just like Diana
- Red Bull unveil livery change on new F1 auto for 2019
- NASA rover finally bites the dust on Mars after 15 years
- Dua Lipa very subtly calls out Grammy President in her acceptance speech
- Amazon is acquiring WiFi router company Eero
- Michelle Obama's Mom Doesn't Think She's a "Real Star"