President Donald Trump raised his concerns about the Democratic embrace of late-term abortion legislation during a Tuesday evening Oval Office meeting, the White House said in a readout.
"President Trump talked about the positive impacts of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act on the American economy, and the president listened to the governor's concerns regarding SALT", said Judd Deere, a deputy press secretary at the White House. Residents in high-tax states such as New York, New Jersey and California could see substantial increases in their federal tax bills this year because of the deduction cap.
Trump "met with New York Governor Andrew Cuomo at the Governor's request".More news: Prison Nurse Fatally Poisoned Husband to Marry Convicted Murderer
Deere said Trump also discussed economic growth opportunities in NY, saying the state could help lower energy prices throughout the Northeast by allowing hydraulic fracturing and the development of gas pipelines. "The two also discussed the need to update America's outdated infrastructure system".
Trump reinvigorated hopes that the provision would be lifted or adjusted last week when he told reporters he was "open to talking about" revisions to the cap.
"The president raised his concerns to Governor Cuomo about Democrats' support of late-term abortions", the White House statment read.More news: Labor shifts on medivacs for asylum seekers ahead of vote today
"There are some people from NY who have been speaking to me about doing something about that, about changing things".
The bill, the Reproductive Health Act, allows abortions after the 24-week mark to protect the mother's health or in cases where the fetus will not survive.
Some Democrats are also concerned that fully restoring the deduction - at a price tag of $620 billion, according to the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center - would mostly help the wealthy at a time the party is focusing on tax plans to combat income inequality. The infant would be kept comfortable.More news: Michael Jordan Reminds Everyone Why He’s The GOAT Of Basketball
- Usher & Rich the Kid Attacked at Recording Studio, Shots Fired
- Police ask woman who threw chair from balcony to surrender
- Savage Released On Bond Following ICE Arrest
- Consumer Inflation At 2.05% In January, Lowest Since June 2017
- Gmail gets a new right-click menu
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Manchester United not dead in Europe despite PSG defeat
- Taylor Swift misses Grammys to support boyfriend Joe Alwyn at Baftas
- Liverpool star Sadio Mane mocks Manchester United during PSG defeat
- Mickelson leads by three at Pebble Beach
- OnePlus’ 5G prototype smartphone will be shown off at MWC