So when The Athletic's Shams Charania reported a trade Wednesday night sending Markieff Morris and a second round pick to New Orleans and Wesley Johnson to the nation's capital, figuring out the ramifications of such a low-drama deal was important to understanding it.
Morris is averaging 11.5 points and 5.1 rebounds for the Wizards, who earlier Wednesday traded forward Otto Porter Jr. to Chicago.
Morris on the other hand had started 15 games this season before a neck injury had him sidelined since December. The Pelicans will also receive the Wizards 2023 second round pick as well.More news: May urges UK lawmakers: Give me more time to get Brexit deal
The Wizards seemingly made this deal for financial reasons, while the Pelicans likely just wanted to take a flyer on a potential impact player.
Beal is averaging a career-high 24.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.1 assists in 37 minutes per game this season. He's expected to miss about six weeks.
The key to this trade is that Morris makes almost $2.5 million more than Johnson.More news: Drinking beer before wine won't prevent a hangover
Morris could see considerable playing time in New Orleans if the Pelicans follow through on not playing Davis until he is traded, even if that lasts the rest of the season.
Washington is 22-32 and four games back of the Heat after a 148-129 loss to the Bucks on Thursday.More news: BAFTA suspends 'Bohemian Rhapsody' director Bryan Singer nomination
- Fourth Hottest Year On Record, Says NASA
- Roger Stone's Arrest Surveillance Video Released
- Nintendo notes that the 3DS market is contracting quicker than expected
- Anderson Silva, 43, impresses in unanimous decision loss to Israel Adesanya
- Canadian gets life sentence for killing six in Quebec mosque shooting
- Automakers recall 1.7 million cars due to potentially fatal airbags
- Android vulnerability lets hackers wreak havoc using, er, a PNG file
- Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys
- Judge approves sale of Sears to former CEO's hedge fund
- So Sweet! Watch Hailey Bieber reveal how Justin Bieber Proposed