Pacific Northwest residents who are more accustomed to rain than snow were digging out from a winter storm and bracing for more on Sunday.
Snow began falling north of Seattle with some areas recording 8 inches (20 centimeters) of snow before it made its way south and enveloped the city.
Forecasters said Portland, Oregon, could get up to 4 inches (10 centimeters) of snow later in the day, with two more snowstorms expected to hit the city next week.
Temperatures should reach the low 40s Sunday afternoon, so any hazardous conditions should be gone rather quickly. The National Weather Service said the first storm system is expected to arrive in the area Sunday night with light accumulation, and the second system will push through Monday and continue into Tuesday.More news: Your old smartphone could be made into a 2020 Olympic medal
In Portland, a tanker truck slid into a sport-utility vehicle on an interchange between Interstates 5 and 84 on Saturday, blocking the ramp for hours.
More than a foot of snow (30.5 cm) was recorded by Saturday morning on the Olympic Peninsula, in the nation's latest bout of winter weather.
Gov. Jay Inslee declared a state of emergency, saying everyone in the state should focus on staying safe. Hawaii News Now reported that the surf was forecast to top out at 60 feet (18 metres) on Sunday.
About 50,000 residents are said to have lost power across the state, USA media report.More news: Buhari says his govt's duty is to jail looters
Another winter storm was on the way to the region. As many as 50 housing structures were damaged near Yosemite National Park by toppled trees during a snowstorm. The Consumers Energy utility said power would be restored by late February 8.
"Snow" could be the buzzword this week, as Mid-Michigan could receive more than a foot of the white stuff this week.
Residents in Seattle cleared out grocery store shelves and left work early on Friday afternoon as the storm arrived. The advisory also includes most of the Twin Cities metro.
"I love it. I'm excited about it", she said of the snow.More news: Israeli Security Forces Detain Palestinian Suspected of Killing 19-Year-Old Girl
- So Sweet! Watch Hailey Bieber reveal how Justin Bieber Proposed
- Gaga wins Grammy for 'Shallow'; Hugh Jackman wins 1st Grammy
- Details on Crypto CEO Cotten's death emerging
- Automakers recall 1.7 million cars due to potentially fatal airbags
- Foot Locker (FL) Rating Repeats by Cowen
- Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys
- Duke Basketball: Hot hands propel Blue Devils to statement win at Virginia
- May urges UK lawmakers: Give me more time to get Brexit deal
- Man shot at Baltimore high school, suspect in custody
- Army-aligned party buoyed amid Thai political turmoil