Tuesday, 18 June 2019
Latest news
Main » Death toll in Istanbul building collapse rises to 21

Death toll in Istanbul building collapse rises to 21

11 February 2019

Rescuers work at the site of a building that collapsed in Istanbul's Kartal district on Feb 6, 2019.

Turkey's president helped carry the coffin of one of the victims of the apartment building collapse in Istanbul today as the death toll hit 17.

Speaking at the scene, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said there are "many lessons to learn".

More news: Rochester Area Could See Three Rounds of Snow Starting Sunday

The seven-storey block in the Kartal district on the Asian side of the city collapsed on February 6 but the cause is not yet clear.

Hopes that more survivors might be found were raised early Friday when a 16-year-old boy was pulled alive from the rubble, the news agency said.

The cause of the tragedy is under investigation but officials have said the top three floors of the eight-story building were built illegally.

More news: Singer Joy Villa dresses as Trump border wall at Grammys

Mr Erdogan also visited a hospital where more than a dozen people injured in the collapse are being treated.

"We estimate that there were 35 people trapped under the rubble and we have now accounted for 35", he said while stressing that search operations would continue as before.

Thirty residents were inside the building, which contained 14 apartments, when it collapsed Wednesday, Anadolu said.

More news: Ariana Grande wins first Grammy

Turkish media said three of the eight floors had been illegally built - a relatively common practice in the metropolis of some 15 million people. They have criticized a government decision to grant amnesty for illegal construction previous year ahead of the country's general election. Seven of them are in a serious condition.

Death toll in Istanbul building collapse rises to 21