The 2019 British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards will be held on February 10.
At the same time, Bafta announced changes in its membership process created to increase the percentage of women and ethnic minorities, after an anonymous membership survey in January 2016 found that 41% were female, 13% minority ethnic, and that the median age was 52. That year, Polanski also shared a BAFTA award for Best Film, in recognition of his critically acclaimed film 'The Pianist.' Polanski also won an Oscar for Best Director for the film. "But the lack of female directors nominated in the directing category is very disappointing".More news: Kangana Ranaut’s Manikarnika finds a fan in Anupam Kher
Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, lunar drama First Man, autobiographical Mexican story Roma and musical melodrama A Star Is Born each received seven nominations for the prizes, considered an indicator of likely success at Hollywood's Academy Awards in what's shaping up to be an unpredictable awards season.
Asked at the film festival about sexual abuse allegations against Singer, which were not cited as the reason for the director's firing, Malek said his heart goes out to all victims of such abuse. BAFTA says Wednesday that the organization considers the alleged behavior unacceptable and incompatible with its values and that Singer has been informed of the suspension. "This has led to Mr Singer's suspended nomination", BAFTA said. BAFTA notes Mr. Singer's denial of the allegations.More news: Foot Locker (FL) Rating Repeats by Cowen
BAFTA said the film was still nominated in the Outstanding British Film category and that "the other individuals named as candidates in respect of the film remain nominees". "The suspension of his nomination will therefore remain in place until the outcome of the allegations has been resolved".
Back in 2016, Bryan Singer was announced as the director of the film.More news: Roger Stone's Arrest Surveillance Video Released
- The First Night of AAF Football
- Canadian gets life sentence for killing six in Quebec mosque shooting
- Nintendo notes that the 3DS market is contracting quicker than expected
- Hubble discovers mysterious dark storm on Neptune
- Judge approves sale of Sears to former CEO's hedge fund
- So Sweet! Watch Hailey Bieber reveal how Justin Bieber Proposed
- Anderson Silva, 43, impresses in unanimous decision loss to Israel Adesanya
- Year-old with cancer sworn in as honorary police officer
- No deal Brexit chances are rising, says CBI business lobby
- ‘Strong possibility’ of Joshua v Miller in New York - Hearn