Unopposed for the UEFA presidency, he was elected by the acclamation of delegates from Europe's 55 football associations at the governing body's 43rd annual congress in Rome.
The Slovenian national was elected in September 2016 to complete the four-year term of then-President Michel Platini, who was banned for financial misconduct.More news: Australian parliament computer network breached
"By telling FIFA that we disagree with their current proposals on the global Nations League and Club World Cup, we show them respect and we show respect to football, the game we love and the game we must protect".
"A clear message: while the two of us continue to lead our respective organisations, there will be no Super League".
"The only thing great about you would be your past", Ceferin cautioned clubs, saying teams following through on breakaway threats in 2016 "would have lost their status as great clubs in the hearts of the people". "This is why I am pleased to announce that Uefa will be launching its OTT platform in the next six months", he said.More news: Wells Fargo deals with tech issues for 2nd day, extends hours
Ceferin excused Liverpool from attending as they were playing a Premier League match at West Ham on Monday, which ended 1-1 at London Stadium. "It can only be done if we work together, if we discuss, if we debate", Infantino said.
Speaking after UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin aimed strong words at him, Infantino said "it's not always easy" for him to work so that "the rest of the world can catch up a little bit" to European soccer.
"Not only because of the record (of PSG) in terms of Financial Fair Play, but also because (Al-Khelaifi) is president of beIN Sports, one of the main holders of television rights of UEFA", added the president of La Liga.More news: Finland basic income trial left people 'happier but jobless'
Ceferin said both he and Andrea Agnelli, president of the European Club Association (ECA), were united in opposing the initiative. UEFA member voters gave Greg Clarke a 37-18 win over David Martin, the Northern Ireland federation president. "We will be doing more in this area because there remain weaknesses in our system".
- Amazon Urges ‘Transparency’ In Law Enforcement Use Of Face Recognition
- Trump says meeting with Xi before March 1 trade deadline is ‘unlikely’
- Behold frozen 'ghost apples,' courtesy of the polar vortex
- TSA Annual Review Reveals Agents Seized a Record 4,239 Firearms in 2018
- Epic Account Merging Is Finally Live in Fortnite
- Clippers rally from 28 down, beat Celtics
- February Xbox One Game Pass Line-Up Detailed
- The EU reached agreement on the "Nord stream-2"
- Mavericks finalize deal to send Harrison Barnes to Kings
- Renault probes Carlos Ghosn’s lavish Versailles wedding for misused funds