Cleveland Indians Shortstop Francisco Lindor (L) talks with Cleveland Indians Third base Jose Ramirez (R) during the Major League Baseball regular season game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Cleveland Indians on September 7, 2018, at Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON, Canada.
According to the team, All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor suffered a right calf strain while preparing for Spring Training, and he's expected to return to game activity in 7-to-9 weeks.More news: Baldur's Gate Games, Neverwinter, Planescape: Torment Coming to Console in 2019
Lindor, 25, is coming off a monster 2018 campaign where he slashed.277/.352/.519 with 82 extra-base hits (38 home runs), 92 RBI and 25 stolen bases. Rookie Yu Chang is listed as Lindor's backup, but infielder Jose Ramirez has plenty of experience at shortstop. He's yet to play in the big leagues, but he posted solid numbers in triple-A a year ago and should be reliable defensively. Max Moroff, acquired from the Pirates this winter, is another option, as is minor league journeyman Eric Stamlets.
This timeline means that, at best, Lindor will have next to no opportunity to participate in Spring Training before Opening Day. The left-handed hitting outfielder earned $6 million last season in the final year of a two-year $10 million contract with the Athletics. In 2015, he finished second in AL Rookie of the Year votes and has a career.288/.350/.487 slash line. Both are career highs.More news: DUI suspect starts busting moves during roadside sobriety test
Joyce played in just 83 games for the Athletics last season as he contended with back injuries.
Lindor avoided arbitration this offseason.More news: Clippers rally from 28 down, beat Celtics
The Cleveland Indians may start the season without their best player. He played the past two seasons in Oakland.
- Mavericks finalize deal to send Harrison Barnes to Kings
- Mueller alleges Manafort continued Ukraine work despite indictment
- No deal Brexit chances are rising, says CBI business lobby
- Automakers recall 1.7 million cars due to potentially fatal airbags
- Your old smartphone could be made into a 2020 Olympic medal
- Judge approves sale of Sears to former CEO's hedge fund
- Drinking beer before wine won't prevent a hangover
- So Sweet! Watch Hailey Bieber reveal how Justin Bieber Proposed
- Amazon Urges ‘Transparency’ In Law Enforcement Use Of Face Recognition
- Storm Erik to batter United Kingdom with snow showers and 70mph winds