If you and your friends all share a Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or any other streaming account in order to save some money, things might be getting a little more hard for you in the years to come.
While Synamedia says it will help providers shut down large-scale, for-profit account sharing run by fraudsters, regular users will also be targeted for "upselling".
While Netflix offers the ability to share with others, it is believed that standard is abused and log-in information is being shared with more than makes financial sense for the company.
At this years CES, Synamedia, which is the largest independent video software provider, introduced a new service, Credentials Sharing Insight, that will be able to spot any passwords that have been shared.More news: Bollywood stars call on Modi
The UK company claims by looking at variables such as where the streaming service is being used, the content watched, the device used to watch it and more it can calculate a probability of how likely it is a particular user is sharing their password.
Its AI-powered system works by analyzing where users are logged in and quickly flagging shared accounts.
A Synamedia spokesman reportedly said "casual credentials sharing is becoming too expensive to ignore".
Snyamedia learned from research done by Magid that roughly 26 percent of millennials share their personal Netflix credentials, creating a potentially massive loss in revenue.More news: Criminal Minds Is Ending with Season 15
It is expected anything from sending an email alerting the user to more premium account models that allow more than one person to access the service to a complete account ban entirely are possible repercussions.
The company says its software is clever enough to know if you're watching from your house or a holiday home.
Synamedia aims to crack down on password sharers with a new system that streaming services can pay to access. It is already in trials with some pay-TV operators.
This story originally appeared in The Sun.More news: U.S. Syria withdrawal officially underway, expected to take 3-4 months
- Kohli says Pandya's 'sexist' comments not reflective of team
- Billie Eilish Releases Video 'When I Was Older' Inspired by Film 'Roma'
- Netflix's 'The Punisher' Gets Even Darker in Season 2 Trailer
- Google Assistant is coming to Google Maps
- LG Unveils the World’s First Rollable OLED TV
- Paul George supplants Kevin Durant in latest All-Star fan voting totals
- Emily Thornberry Tells People's Vote Campaign To Stop 'Slapping' Labour Around
- ❄️When high-impact winter storm will bring snow to Central Virginia
- New Zealand vs Sri Lanka
- Plea Against The Accidental Prime Minister Filed In Supreme Court