In an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac, Rooney also indicated that "all other options are on the table" when it came to Brown's future, implying that a trade was a strong possibility. But, he's in no hurry.
"Whether the situation can be reconciled and have him back on the team next year, we're a long way away from thinking that can happen".More news: Trump Cancels Davos Trip Over Democrats' 'Intransigence'
And that has now made an offseason for the Steelers that already was sure to be littered with questions about how to prop open that closing window of opportunity a little more ... shall we say ... drama-filled. "We don't have to make those decisions right now".
Brown has not returned phone calls from the team - including Rooney, head coach Mike Tomlin and others who have reached out.
Like clockwork, 49ers offensive tackle Joe Staley continued the team's efforts to recruit the WR, by tweeting a hand-waving emoji at Brown, in response to the receiver posting a picture of himself shaking hands with Rooney. Right now, the Steelers are about $28 million under the cap, but that only accounts for 38 players currently under contract. Pittsburgh may ask for a first-round pick for the receiver.More news: Rape Case Investigators Issue Warrant For Cristiano Ronaldo's DNA
Rooney says cap considerations will play a factor in how the Steelers move forward.
Last year, all eyes were on running back Le'Veon Bell.
The only problem is, trading him would be costly - not just in terms of the production the Steelers would be losing.More news: Google expanding Chrome ad-blocking initiative to global markets this July
- Wild Hubble Triangulum Galaxy image is telescope's second largest ever
- The Division 2 will not launch on Steam
- NYC Promises 'Guaranteed' Healthcare for All Residents
- Padraig Harrington named Europe Ryder Cup captain
- Tim Tebow Engaged to Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters -- See the Sweet Announcement!
- Jose Mourinho On Rumours Of Return To Former Club
- Jaguar Land Rover fight to survive in current Chinese economy
- Jerry Jones Sets Sail With $250 Million Dollar ‘Superyacht’
- Michael Cohen Agrees to Spill the Beans in Public Congressional Testimony
- UAE beat India in Pulsating AFC Asian Cup Match - Highlights