The White House Office of Management and Budget announced the decision in order to make the shutdown as "painless as possible" for citizens, in the event it carries on into tax season.
As Vox reported last week, the IRS plan was to furlough all but about 10,000 of its workers, (keeping just 12.5 percent of employees working) thus making processing tax refunds hard, if not impossible.
House Democrats have made a few attempts of their own to end the shutdown.More news: Jeff Bezos And His Wife Are Getting Divorced
He said the president has been negotiating to reopen the government and to secure the border and has directed OMB to mitigate effects of the shutdown for the American people.
The shift from the White House comes as officials prepare for an extended shutdown.
While that may inconvenience taxpayers and accountants, the administration has reversed course from its predecessors by issuing refunds during a shutdown.
President Trump has threatened to continue the ongoing federal shutdown for months, or longer.More news: Allegedly laundered money: Malaysia probes claim China offered to bail out 1MDB
The administration is seeking to avoid a delay in payouts of tax refunds to millions of Americans who are owed money.
"The processing of returns and customer service - most of those employees have been furloughed", Nicole Kaeding, director of federal projects at the Tax Foundation, told CNBC.
The new law, which took effect January 1, 2018, gave generous tax cuts to corporations and the wealthiest Americans and more modest reductions to middle- and low-income households.
One of the agencies affected by the partial government shutdown - now in its third week - is the Internal Revenue Service.More news: Golden Globes 2019: A multitude of surprise winners
- AEW Star Chris Jericho Removed From WWE Video Intro
- Mike McCarthy Only Interested in Coaching Jets Next Season
- Broncos Hire Vic Fangio As New Head Coach
- R. Kelly's attorney responds to allegations made in docu-series
- Federer: Djokovic the clear favourite for the Australian Open
- Yoshi’s Crafted World and Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn release dates revealed
- Trump cuts off federal funds to California to fight 'Forrest fires'
- Kelvin Star Trek IV: The Voyage Ended….
- Spider-Man on PS4 is about to score some Fantastic Four DLC
- UK lawmakers clash over Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit deal