US President Donald Trump speaks to reporters after he addressed a closed Senate Republican policy lunch as a partial government shutdown enters its 19th day on Capitol Hill in Washington, US.
President Trump on the partial government shutdown and efforts to reach a compromise on border wall funding.More news: Samsung confirms foldable phone release for the first half of 2019
US President Donald Trump in a statement on Thursday said he is cancelling his trip to the economic summit in Davos because the Democrats are being recalcitrant over border security.
"I meant to go and speak in front of the global community in Davos". I won't go, ' he said then.
The partial United States government shutdown is in its 20th day, with no sign of an agreement.More news: Man licks doorbell for three hours in CCTV
Trump was headed for a pair of events in the border town of McAllen, continuing his bully-pulpit approach to arguing for a wall along more of the U.S.
At the White House on Thursday, the USA president reiterated his view that the discussions were a total waste of time but denied pounding the table or having "temper tantrums", as described by Schumer.
China's Vice President Wang Qishan is also expected to attend, but it is not clear if there were any arrangements for a meeting between him and Trump during the annual gathering.More news: Routine Food Inspections Halted by U.S. Government Shutdown: FDA
The Trump administration is engaged in trade talks with the European Union and China, among others.
- Pompeo Visits Middle East to Increase Pressure on Iran
- Rape coma baby 'nearly died' at Hacienda Healthcare, police confirm
- Tim Cook: new Apple services will arrive year
- Looks Like It's Time To Talk About The SOPRANOS Finale Again
- Rape Case Investigators Issue Warrant For Cristiano Ronaldo's DNA
- Suspicious packages mailed to consulates in Australia: Man arrested
- With more tariffs, US-China trade outlook looks grim, says data
- Jaguar Land Rover fight to survive in current Chinese economy
- Schweizer-Reneke school suspends teacher over segregated seating
- Everton among several clubs interested in signing Chelsea's Michy Batshuayi