The next total solar eclipse is coming on July 2, 2019.
In terms of celestial events, 2019 is already shaping up to be a year full of dazzling sky shows - from meteor showers to a super rare planet transit and multiple eclipses, yes, multiple.
This doesn't occur every month, as the moon has a slight incline in its orbit and often misses earth's shadow. The good news is that, unlike a solar eclipse, the spectacle will be safe to look at. This Super Blood Moon is also known as "Wolf Moon" or Super Blood Wolf Moon.
While solar eclipses must be viewed with special equipment to protect the eyes, lunar eclipses won't hurt your eyesight.More news: New 2019 BMW 7 Series images showing X7 influence leak
"During totality (the time when the entire moon is covered by Earth's shadow) the lunar surface turns a copper orange due to sunlight refracting or passing through our atmosphere much like those hot summer sunsets on Earth". (That's 4:55pm UTC, for our global readers.) Totality will last for 4 minutes and 33 seconds‚ but will be mostly over the Pacific Ocean; it will reach land near the city of La Serena, Chile, at 2:39pm EST.
The year will start with a partial solar eclipse on January 6, though it will not be visible in India. By 3:40pm EST, the partial eclipse will be over as well, and the moon's shadow will have passed across the continent and back over to the Atlantic Ocean. September 2081, in turn, a total Eclipse of the sun, may see - and roughly a half-century later, on 7.
The next total lunar eclipse is set to occur May, 26, 2021 and will be visible for parts of North and South America and East Asia. From 12:55 to 5:50 p.m. ET.
If you were on the moon, you would see an orange ring around the earth. Look southeast. The crescent moon will pass by them as they drift farther apart on January 30.More news: Audi Showcase Virtual Reality Features at CES 2019
Total lunar eclipse ends: 9:43 p.m. (January 20). The event is, strictly speaking, a partial eclipse, but a very pretty one. "I haven't yet made my mind [where to watch from], it could be Saudi Arabia or Qatar if I decide to go for it at sunrise with questionable seeing", says Jubier.
January is the next partial Eclipse of the sun. Who is in the Umbra, can be observed from earth, a total Eclipse of the heart.
Partial umbral eclipse begins: 8:34 p.m. (January 20) The moon begins to enter the shadow.More news: Chandler Parsons, Memphis Grizzlies agree to part ways
- Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected
- Mike McCarthy Only Interested in Coaching Jets Next Season
- US Says China Willing to Buy More American as Trade Talks End
- R. Kelly's attorney responds to allegations made in docu-series
- White House: Tax refunds will be paid despite govt. shutdown
- SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsule perched on pad ahead of first orbital flight
- Lenovo crammed Google Assistant smarts into this adorable alarm clock
- Adam Gase to Become New York Jets' Head Coach
- Yoshi’s Crafted World and Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn release dates revealed
- Man accused of stealing roommate's winning $10 million lotto ticket arrested