A Commonwealth prosecutor told the court the deliveries contained asbestos.
Australian police claimed that the man was arrested at his home in rural Victoria state late Wednesday, hours after several consulates - including Pakistani mission - in Melbourne received the suspicious packages.
The Australian Federal Police has not yet confirmed if the two incidences are believed to be related.
He was charged with sending risky articles to be carried by a postal service and is scheduled to appear before Melbourne Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
The man is expected to appear before Melbourne Magistrate's Court on Thursday morning.More news: Kevin Hart definitively states: 'No, I'm not hosting the Oscars this year'
Avan will next appear in court in March.
The Indian and USA consulates on St Kilda Road, along with the British, Swiss, German Korean, Greek, Italian, Pakistani and Egyptian missions were targeted.
On Wednesday suspicious packages were received at embassies in Canberra as well as the US, Pakistani, Swiss, Indian, South Korean, New Zealand, Greek, French, Italian, Spanish and Turkish consulates in Melbourne.More news: How Much Could Wife of Amazon's Jeff Bezos Get in Divorce?
Police, who have recovered 29 of the parcels, said they would intercept the rest. The Victoria state police said on January 9 that they believe the incidents are targeted, and that the general public is not at great risk.
"The maximum penalty for the offence the man has been charged with is 10 years imprisonment", the statement added. They gave no additional details of how the asbestos was packaged or what the motive might have been.
"The note advised missions to handle mail in accordance with their own government's protocols and instructions", a DFAT spokesman said.
Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs had raised the alarm with all diplomatic missions in Canberra on Tuesday after similar incidents were reported at offices in Sydney and the Australian Capital Territory.More news: Image gallery: New-gen Mercedes-Benz CLA at CES 2019
- Kate Middleton felt Meghan Markle ‘used’ her to ‘climb the royal ladder’
- Packers hire LaFleur as head coach
- Apple reportedly cuts iPhone production by 10 percent for first quarter
- China’s Chang’e-4 spacecraft lands on far side of the moon
- Oakland A's Expect Kyler Murray To Enter NFL Draft
- Rare 1943 copper coin could fetch a pretty penny in auction
- Michael Jackson sex abuse: Leaving Neverland at Sundance features 'new victims'
- SABC to continue playing R Kelly's music, for now
- US Confirms Iran Holding American Navy Vet for Last 6 Months
- Chelsea prepared to report Bayern to Federation Internationale de Football Association over Hudson-Odoi