Late previous year, an E. coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce sickened more than 60 people. "There's no question of whether it's business as usual at FDA", FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb told NBC News. Under normal circumstances, the FDA inspects around 160 USA food production facilities a week, many of them deemed high-risk.More news: Rape coma baby 'nearly died' at Hacienda Healthcare, police confirm
"We're still doing ALL our regular foreign food inspections", Gottlieb said on Twitter. High-risk facilities are those that either handle foods particularly vulnerable to safety issues, such as soft cheeses and seafood, or facilities that have a track record of food safety problems. "But, on the domestic side, in rough numbers we'd typically do about 160 domestic food inspections each week, and 1/3 of those would be considered high risk". While those workers still wouldn't be paid until after the shutdown ends, Gottlieb said he was setting up an agency travel account to help those inspectors keep large balances off their personal credit cards.
The FDA oversees about 80 percent of America's food supply and many overseas imports, and helps counter food-borne diseases that send about 128,000 people to the hospital each year, according to figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.More news: Kate Middleton felt Meghan Markle ‘used’ her to ‘climb the royal ladder’
"We are still performing those inspections and do routine sampling in both processors and retail establishments", said Heather Lansdowne with the Kansas State Department of Agriculture.More news: Man licks doorbell for three hours in CCTV
- SABC to continue playing R Kelly's music, for now
- Michael Jackson sex abuse: Leaving Neverland at Sundance features 'new victims'
- Rare 1943 copper coin could fetch a pretty penny in auction
- Iran Confirms It's Holding U.S. Navy Veteran
- Semi-truck driver in deadly Humboldt Broncos crash pleads guilty
- Image gallery: New-gen Mercedes-Benz CLA at CES 2019
- Kevin Hart definitively states: 'No, I'm not hosting the Oscars this year'
- Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't so down with FIJI Water girl's photobombing efforts
- Toyota recalls 1.7m vehicles worldwide over air bag inflators
- Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather meet again at Clippers game