Slusser notes that declaring for the draft does not mean the Heisman victor will decide to reject his $4.66 million deal with the A's outright, but it does increase the chances of him ultimately choosing football over baseball. "I know he's signed up to play baseball, but he is a dominant football player, and I would take him with the first pick".
He was the ninth pick in the 2018 Major League Baseball draft by the Oakland A's and was paid nearly $5 million as a bonus.
The 21-year-old helped the Sooners earn a berth in the College Football Playoff this season after leading them to a Big 12 title and a 12-1 regular-season record.More news: How Much Could Wife of Amazon's Jeff Bezos Get in Divorce?
The Chronicle story says Murray is expected to declare for the NFL Draft on Sunday.
Per the Chronicle, Murray's decision to enter the National Football League draft does not guarantee that he will reject his $4.66 mililion deal with the A's outright.
Last month, on the eve of the Heisman ceremony, it was clear that Murray was torn about which sport he wanted to play.More news: Total lunar eclipse happening January 20
The Chronicle reported that one source told the paper Murray is leaning toward football. The Sooners' season ended with a 45-34 loss to Alabama in the national semifinals. His agent, Scott Boras, had insisted Murray was committed to playing professional baseball and would attend Spring Training. But it does increase the likelihood he plays pro football rather than baseball. The NFL's scouting combine begins on February 26, which Murray will likely attend if he chooses to go the football route.
The 49ers and the Raiders hold the second and fourth overall picks, respectively, so if Murray were to go at the very top of the draft, that could make prospects available to both Bay Area teams that wouldn't have been otherwise.More news: Adam Gase to Become New York Jets' Head Coach
- Lenovo crammed Google Assistant smarts into this adorable alarm clock
- R. Kelly's attorney responds to allegations made in docu-series
- Fox News host Shep Smith wasted no time fact-checking Trump's address
- White House: Tax refunds will be paid despite govt. shutdown
- Malta allows 49 migrants stranded off coast since December to disembark
- China’s Chang’e-4 spacecraft lands on far side of the moon
- Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected
- New 2019 BMW 7 Series images showing X7 influence leak
- 'Gully Boy' trailer: Ranveer and Alia steal the show
- Congolese dance, cheer at opposition's win