One more here would see him follow Jimmy Connors as the only man in the Open era to hit three figures, as well as taking him past Djokovic and Roy Emerson at Melbourne Park.
Second seed Rafa Nadal, under an injury cloud after pulling out of the Brisbane International, will open against unseeded local James Duckworth.
This year, Wilander - a three-time champion at the Australian Open - says Federer's hopes of a 21st Grand Slam lie exclusively on the hard courts of Melbourne Park.More news: Iran Confirms It's Holding U.S. Navy Veteran
Third-seeded Caroline Wozniacki, who won her first Grand Slam title here previous year after a tough final against Halep, is in the same section as Maria Sharapova and has Petra Kvitova at the top of her quarter.
Serb Djokovic could then face a rematch of his 2008 final triumph over Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the second round, before a possible second week match-up against Japan's Kei Nishikori in the quarter-finals.
Serbian Djokovic heads into the tournament as favourite to win a record seventh title and his third Grand Slam in a row, while five-times runner-up Murray, now ranked 230th, will have far lower expectations at the event starting on Monday.
"I can't believe it's been a year already", Dane Wozniacki said at the draw ceremony.More news: Gold steady as dollar sags on Fed rate pause bets
Murray won only two games in an incomplete practice match with Djokovic at Melbourne Park, showing signs he's still not fully fit after spending most of the last 18 months off the tour. "If I made 100 at the Australian I'd take it, I'd gladly accept it - and I'll give it all I have".
Serena Williams, who is seeded 16th, faces fellow mother Tatjana Maria of Germany in her first competitive match since her tempestuous US Open final loss to Naomi Osaka.
But defending champion Federer is especially good on the hard courts Down Under.
Halep, however, may be reluctant to look beyond the first round, having drawn her U.S. Open nemesis Kaia Kanepi.More news: Semi-truck driver in deadly Humboldt Broncos crash pleads guilty
"To finally get that (title) here was so special, it's the happy slam". "I've had a great off-season and I feel very well prepared".
- Suspicious packages mailed to consulates in Australia: Man arrested
- Apple reportedly cuts iPhone production by 10 percent for first quarter
- Kevin Hart definitively states: 'No, I'm not hosting the Oscars this year'
- Man licks doorbell for three hours in CCTV
- Michael Jackson sex abuse: Leaving Neverland at Sundance features 'new victims'
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Cotswold country weekender has been revealed
- Schweizer-Reneke school suspends teacher over segregated seating
- Oakland A's Expect Kyler Murray To Enter NFL Draft
- Kate Middleton felt Meghan Markle ‘used’ her to ‘climb the royal ladder’
- Packers hire LaFleur as head coach