And it sounds like it could get even better for United should Real re-hire Mourinho, because doing so would trigger a clause in the 55-year-old's previous contract.
Inter too are said to be unconvinced by manager Luciano Spaletti who - despite sitting third in Serie A - led his side to a group stage elimination from the Champions League.
"I have never confirmed, nor denied any offers throughout my career", he added.
"I never got into this game of news feeding".
"The other thing I have learned is to respect the clubs who want me and those who don't want me".More news: Routine Food Inspections Halted by U.S. Government Shutdown: FDA
However, the Portuguese coach now insisted he is not interested in coaching Benfica at this moment in time.
"If I were, Benfica would be the first to know my decision".
"I think I can safely say today that I have no intention of working in Portugal", Mourinho told Correio da Manha TV.
Manchester United have won all five of their fixtures since Mourinho was sacked and replaced by interim boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. "At the moment, I'm fine as I am".
Jose Mourinho may be making a dramatic return to Real Madrid as Manchester United have paid him a reported £15million ($19million) in compensation, following his sacking last month.More news: IBM takes small - but steady - steps to quantum commercial viability
Nearly as soon as Jose took his marching orders from Old Trafford last month the former Manchester United boss has been linked with a return to Real.
A source close to Mourinho revealed on Wednesday night: "There are no issues over Jose's contract with Manchester United".
"When you leave a club, you do not wash dirty clothes, when you leave a club, you do not seek to, at least publicly, do any kind of criticism, it's an ended chapter and that's how I always did it".
Mourinho began his coaching career in 2000 at Benfica but was in charge for only nine games before spells at Porto, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter Milan.
Interestingly for a man who operates on something of a scorched earth policy when things are going badly for him in a job, the Portuguese manager has been nearly exclusively linked with clubs that he has already managed.More news: Toyota recalls 1.7m vehicles worldwide over air bag inflators
- Schweizer-Reneke school suspends teacher over segregated seating
- Tim Cook: new Apple services will arrive year
- Jazmine Barnes: Second man charged in drive-by shooting
- With more tariffs, US-China trade outlook looks grim, says data
- Apple reportedly cuts iPhone production by 10 percent for first quarter
- Suspicious packages mailed to consulates in Australia: Man arrested
- US Confirms Iran Holding American Navy Vet for Last 6 Months
- Aaron Ramsey and Juventus agree terms on free transfer
- Man licks doorbell for three hours in CCTV
- Kate Middleton felt Meghan Markle ‘used’ her to ‘climb the royal ladder’