Children less than two years old and adults older than 65. "This is a tragic reminder that the flu can still kill and that children are particularly susceptible to the illness".
The death follows last year's severe flu season, during which an estimated 80,000 people were lost to the viral infection, Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Robert Redfield said in September.
The best protection against the flu is the flu shot, but is it too late to get vaccinated? Eighty-five per cent of children admitted to intensive care because of the flu are under the age of 10, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Experts say peak flu season is near, but there are hopes this year won't be as bad as last year.More news: Unifor rallying union members to protest GM's Oshawa factory closing
Last season at that point, 11,275 cases of lab-confirmed flu had been reported.
"We're really just now getting into our flu season", said Dr. Michelle Murti of Public Health Ontario, noting that the proportion of tests on people with respiratory bugs that came back positive for influenza had doubled to 16 per cent in the week ending December 29, compared to eight per cent the week before.
People with symptoms should stay at home and children should not attend school if showing signs of flu, he said.
"At the end of 2018, flu activity was high in New York City and 19 states, including most of the American southwest and New Jersey". Vaccines protect against multiple flu strains. H3N2, the strain largely responsible for last year's outbreak, has so far been less common than the H1N1 strain.More news: Golden Globes 2019: A multitude of surprise winners
The CDC recommends that everyone 6-months-old and older get a flu shot every year.
"While most people will get better themselves from flu, anyone who is concerned about their condition should telephone their GP or an out of hours medical service so they can arrange to be treated in a way that does not put others at risk".
Note to readers: This is a corrected story.More news: Man City and Burton are chalk and cheese, says Brewers chairman
- Mike McCarthy Only Interested in Coaching Jets Next Season
- Man accused of stealing roommate's winning $10 million lotto ticket arrested
- Malta allows 49 migrants stranded off coast since December to disembark
- US Says China Willing to Buy More American as Trade Talks End
- Allegedly laundered money: Malaysia probes claim China offered to bail out 1MDB
- AMD Launches Next Radeon VII GPU, the World's First 7nm GPU
- White House: Tax refunds will be paid despite govt. shutdown
- Senate Democrats Consider Blocking All Legislation Until Shutdown Ends
- AEW Star Chris Jericho Removed From WWE Video Intro
- Chandler Parsons, Memphis Grizzlies agree to part ways