File picture shows White House Chief of Staff John Kelly stepping off Air Force One as US President Donald Trump arrived to participate in a briefing on Hurricane Florence recovery efforts in Havelock, North Carolina, September 19, 2018. Trump is currently seeking a replacement for the top position, with Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Nick Ayers being the main contender right now. Ayers was important to Pence's arrival on the Trump ticket, worked at a high level on the transition and is considered deeply loyal to the Trump agenda.
A source told Reuters last month that Trump was considering a replacement for Kelly.
The White House senior staff meeting Friday morning was canceled, according to three officials.
Kelly's tenure working for Trump was pocked with controversies, and officials were often amazed at how he managed to survive.More news: Canadian Prosecutors Accuse Huawei CFO Meng of Fraud Related to Iran Sanctions
Trump had earlier pledged publicly that Kelly would remain through his first term in office, though many in the West Wing were skeptical.
But in the last months, Kelly has seen his status as chief of staff diminish.
Kelly, a decorated Marine Corps general, is widely regarded as one of the most well-respected and qualified members of the Trump administration.More news: Stranger Things 3: The Game Is Creeping Onto All Platforms
At times, Kelly was the source of his own downfall.
Trump has long admired Kelly for his military valour, but his lack of political experience and interest in campaign strategy has made him an imperfect fit leading the staff of a president who lives and breathes politics.
Barr, who also worked as AG for former President George HW Bush, replaces Jeff Sessions.
Task & Purpose contacted several officials at the Defense Department and military services, but none of them had been informed about Trump's pending announcement.More news: Obsidian unveils sci-fi RPG that could steal Starfield's thunder
"She's very talented, very smart, very quick, and I think she's going to be respected by all", Trump said.
- Schmidt scores twice as Knights beat Capitals 5-3
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive adds battle royale mode, goes free-to-play
- Ariana Grande Talks About What It's Like Dating in the Public Eye
- Talks 'intensifying' between Red Sox, Nathan Eovaldi
- Fatal brain-eating amoeba may have come from woman's neti pot
- Trump Names State Department's Spokesperson Nauert as UN Ambassador
- Dusted Heroes Won’t Feature In Any Of The Avengers 4 Marketing
- SpaceX rocket booster misses landing as supplies sent to space
- Father's emotional plea as police have 'grave fears' for backpacker
- The Gorgeous Nissan GT-R50 Enters Production