File picture shows White House Chief of Staff John Kelly stepping off Air Force One as US President Donald Trump arrived to participate in a briefing on Hurricane Florence recovery efforts in Havelock, North Carolina, September 19, 2018. Trump is currently seeking a replacement for the top position, with Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff Nick Ayers being the main contender right now. Ayers was important to Pence's arrival on the Trump ticket, worked at a high level on the transition and is considered deeply loyal to the Trump agenda.
A source told Reuters last month that Trump was considering a replacement for Kelly.
The White House senior staff meeting Friday morning was canceled, according to three officials.
Kelly's tenure working for Trump was pocked with controversies, and officials were often amazed at how he managed to survive.More news: New Jeep Wrangler Disappoints With 1 Star In Europe NCAP Crash Tests
Trump had earlier pledged publicly that Kelly would remain through his first term in office, though many in the West Wing were skeptical.
But in the last months, Kelly has seen his status as chief of staff diminish.
Kelly, a decorated Marine Corps general, is widely regarded as one of the most well-respected and qualified members of the Trump administration.More news: Schmidt scores twice as Knights beat Capitals 5-3
At times, Kelly was the source of his own downfall.
Trump has long admired Kelly for his military valour, but his lack of political experience and interest in campaign strategy has made him an imperfect fit leading the staff of a president who lives and breathes politics.
Barr, who also worked as AG for former President George HW Bush, replaces Jeff Sessions.
Task & Purpose contacted several officials at the Defense Department and military services, but none of them had been informed about Trump's pending announcement.More news: Ariana Grande Talks About What It's Like Dating in the Public Eye
"She's very talented, very smart, very quick, and I think she's going to be respected by all", Trump said.
- Incredible Blood Clot Coughed Up Intact Stumps Doctors
- SpaceX rocket booster misses landing as supplies sent to space
- Dusted Heroes Won’t Feature In Any Of The Avengers 4 Marketing
- Talks 'intensifying' between Red Sox, Nathan Eovaldi
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive adds battle royale mode, goes free-to-play
- China and the USA agree not to impose new additional tariffs
- The Gorgeous Nissan GT-R50 Enters Production
- First baby born after deceased womb transplant in Brazil
- Fatal brain-eating amoeba may have come from woman's neti pot
- Obsidian unveils sci-fi RPG that could steal Starfield's thunder