New Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has revealed that he was never contacted in regards to the Arsenal job, despite being linked for the role.
Hasenhuttl has now officially taken charge following the 3-1 loss to Tottenham at Wembley on Wednesday night.
"It's a big challenge, but also the logical next step in my career".
The Austrian has been appointed St Mary's manager on a two-and-a-half year deal, replacing Mark Hughes.More news: Brighton blow Palace away after Shane Duffy's red
As the hosts played a corner short, Matt Targett did not match Kane's run to the near post and the England captain rammed home Christian Eriksen's cross from close range for his ninth Premier League goal of the season.
'When I left Leipzig I was thinking about my next step and I want to stand in front of a new team, new language, to get developed personally and in my view of football.
Hasenhuttl attracted Saints' interest through his success at his previous club RB Leipzig, guiding them to second in the Bundesliga in the 2016/17 season and the Europa League quarter-finals last term.
The engaging Hasenhuttl, who joked that his surname translates into English as "rabbit hutch", fired a word of warning that he will ship out any players not ready for hard work.More news: Man who ran over Charlottesville protester guilty of murder
"I want to put my footsteps in the snow here", Hasenhuttl, who guided Inglostadt to promotion from the second tier before taking over at Leipzig, told the media.
"The first target is to get out of relegation zone". If someone says it is too much running or work for me they will fall very quick. I'm not frightened about it, but the problem at the moment is that we have a lot of games in the next few days.
"You can expect a very passionate kind of football..." No one likes change, but if you give a new manager a chance, you will improve as a player. "If they like to go this way with us they are invited to, and when they follow us it will be an intensive, hard-working way".
'Last year I had a fantastic Champions League team, we were on a very high technical level.More news: Putin moving chess pieces to control Black Sea
- Cardi B reacts to her five Grammy nominations
- Twelve killed during attempted bank heists in Brazil
- France tops OECD list of most taxed countries
- Michigan State basketball loses five-star recruit to Duke
- Ben Simmons' Philadelphia 76ers in loss to Toronto Raptors
- 'very strong signals' that China is ready for a trade deal
- Sears’ biggest holder bids $4.6B for rest of bankrupt chain
- Falcon 9 Rocket Crashes After Successful ISS Cargo Delivery
- Rwandan court drops all charges against opposition figure
- Italy police arrest mafia's alleged new mob boss in Sicily