It should be noted that the last time the mafia was going through a hard period of reorganization that is associated with a long absence of rigid centralized management.
The Sicilian Mafia managed to rebuild the Cupola after it had not met for years, Italian media reported.
Among those arrested on Tuesday was Settimo Mineo, an 80-year-old jeweller suspected of heading local mafia families in the Sicilian capital Palermo and of being promoted to lead the whole crime group in May, police said.More news: Paris on lockdown for gilets jaunes protests
He reportedly told his driver about details of the May 29 Cupola meeting, describing it as "a handsome meeting, very serious, with country people, old people".
"This is a sign that Cosa Nostra doesn't abandon its rules", Lo Voi told a press conference.
The Sicilian Mafia, commonly known as the Cosa Nostra, was formed in the 19 century and continues to be involved in various forms of organised crime, ranging from firearm trafficking, racketeering, extortion and armed robbery. It was believed to be the first such gathering of mob families for more than 25 years.
"We all got up and kissed", Colletti reportedly said of the end of the meeting.More news: 2-year-old cancer patient center of worldwide search for blood donors
The country's deputy prime minister Luigi di Maio, announcing the arrests, said they "represent one of the biggest blows inflicted on the mafia by the state".
Based on wiretaps, police determined that during a May 29 meeting of clan leaders in Palermo, Mineo had been elected head of the "cupola", the mob leadership.
Mineo was sentenced to five years in jail for mafia-related crimes at the so-called "maxi-trial" that ran from 1986-1992 and was spearheaded by prosecutors Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino. During the 1980s, it became less collegial under Riina's domination and effectively ceased to function after his 1993 arrest.
Falcone was murdered in a massive auto bombing in 1992.More news: Altria investing $2.4B in Canadian cannabis producer Cronos
- PGA of America officially announces move from Palm Beach Gardens to Texas
- Ben Simmons' Philadelphia 76ers in loss to Toronto Raptors
- Six dead in stampede at Italian nightclub: Firefighters
- How to Watch Bournemouth vs. Liverpool
- Arsenal Players Filmed Inhaling 'Hippy Crack' In Nightclub
- Falcon 9 Rocket Crashes After Successful ISS Cargo Delivery
- Alleged Samsung Galaxy S10 Images Leak Highlighting Triple Rear Cameras
- Donald Trump calls Rex Tillerson 'dumb as a rock'
- Bound next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee to have a three-row version
- US Rules Out Military Response to Russia-Ukraine Naval Escalation, Official Says