Tillerson, speaking at a fundraiser for the MD Anderson Cancer Center, said on Thursday that Trump had a much different style than his own.
'I'd say here's what we can do.More news: Talks 'intensifying' between Red Sox, Nathan Eovaldi
Though he had been forewarned that Trump was unhappy with him, Tillerson learned of his dismissal through a tweet in which Trump congratulated his new pick for the job, Mike Pompeo, and concluded with a breezy, "Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service!"
The US President lashed out at Mr Tillerson in an unprecedented series on insults published earlier today on Twitter. "It's really a concern I have about us as Americans, and us as a society, and us as citizens". "But it's not his intent to act on impulse".
"It violates the law", he said at a rare public appearance in Houston. "Now it is a whole new ballgame, great spirit at State!"
Mr Tillerson called the president "a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesn't like to read, doesn't read briefing reports, doesn't like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, 'This is what I believe'". "It violates the law".More news: Australia passes data encryption law
If you had "Rex Tillerson vs. Donald Trump beef" on your "What Previously Impossible to Predict Political Story Will Happen Today" bingo card: Congrats, you nailed it!
Perhaps the most damning quote came when Tillerson talked about how Trump as president regularly attempted to do things that violated the law.
The pair's inability to get along was an open secret, especially after NBC News reported in October 2017 that Tillerson had referred to Trump as a "moron".
Tillerson also seemed to criticize the way that Trump disseminates his message to mass audiences - and turned the criticism onto Americans who seem to be happy with it. At several points in his tenure, reports of his criticisms of the president frequently reached the press, including one instance where he called Trump a "f-ing moron".More news: China launches rover for first far side of the moon landing
- Altria investing $2.4B in Canadian cannabis producer Cronos
- Obsidian unveils sci-fi RPG that could steal Starfield's thunder
- Father's emotional plea as police have 'grave fears' for backpacker
- Schmidt scores twice as Knights beat Capitals 5-3
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled Revs Up its Engine Once More
- Florida woman slain in Costa Rica a ‘happy soul’
- Fend Off Highwaymen in Far Cry New Dawn’s Lush World
- Airplane skids off runway while trying to land in heavy rain
- Cowboys QB Dak Prescott responds to Eagles' trash talk
- Six dead in stampede at Italian nightclub: Firefighters