"I am thrilled to name Derek Fisher our next head coach", said Penny Toler, the Sparks' executive vice president and general manager, in a statement released by the team.
Fisher had no previous head-coaching experience before then-team president Phil Jackson hired him on to rectify the struggling NY franchise. Fisher coached the Knicks to a 40-96 record over the course of his tenure. After many successful years as one of the team atop the WNBA, the Sparks ended last season with a second-round playoff exit which doesn't meet the standards of a franchise used to competing for conference and league titles. He also won the 2010 WNBA Championship with the Seattle Storm.
The 44-year-old Fisher is being welcomed by two-time MVP Candace Parker.More news: Altria investing $2.4B in Canadian cannabis producer Cronos
Luckily for Fisher, there will be no pressure to run the triangle as head coach of the Sparks.
In his National Basketball Association career, he scored 10,713 points, 2,658 rebounds, and 3,804 assists. Over the course of his career, he averaged 8.3 points and 3.0 assists per game on 39.9 percent shooting.
Fisher, 44, has not coached at any level since the 2015-16 National Basketball Association season.More news: Dragon Age 4 gets first teaser trailer at The Game Awards
Fisher played the 2013-14 season with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
This will be Fisher's second coaching job since his retirement from playing in 2014.More news: China launches rover for first far side of the moon landing
- Sara Ali Khan`s Kedarnath to not release in Uttarakhand?
- Tillerson: Trump 'undisciplined,' wanted to break law
- Australia passes data encryption law
- Fatal brain-eating amoeba may have come from woman's neti pot
- Obsidian unveils sci-fi RPG that could steal Starfield's thunder
- Father's emotional plea as police have 'grave fears' for backpacker
- Trump Names State Department's Spokesperson Nauert as UN Ambassador
- Cowboys QB Dak Prescott responds to Eagles' trash talk
- Alleged Samsung Galaxy S10 Images Leak Highlighting Triple Rear Cameras
- Airplane skids off runway while trying to land in heavy rain