Redskins quarterback Alex Smith is dealing with post-operation complications from the surgery he had to fix his broken leg, according to a report Thursday.
Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith's playing future may be in jeopardy.More news: I've been in therapy for years: Jennifer Aniston
The 34-year-old was already believed to be facing a lengthy recovery before the infection. The site reported that Smith's post-operative infection could require "partial reconstruction".
While no one knows for sure whether Smith will ever take the field again, the statement released by the Redskins Thursday morning certainly makes the chances of that look dim.
"Alex Smith is battling an infection related to the surgery he had on his broken fibula and tibia, sources say", Rapoport tweeted.More news: Warren: Fury is Number 1 With Wilder, Joshua Now Sits at 3rd
Former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann said Smith's broken leg reminded him of his own career-ending injury.
Chiefs Kingdom, please keep Smith and his family in your thoughts and prayers as he faces these complications and a long road to recovery.
Smith was placed on injured reserve and is out for the remainder of the season.More news: USS McCampbell, U.S. Navy destroyer, challenges Russian Federation in Sea of Japan
- Yield curve inverts for first time in a decade
- Liverpool lose Joe Gomez for six weeks
- Trump says Mueller and Comey are 'Best Friends'
- Ocasio-Cortez Promises $15-an-hour Intern "Living Wage" (Math & Economics Disagree)
- Adonis Stevenson remains in 'critical condition' at Quebec University Hospital
- A new traielr for 'Captain Marvel' is here-- watch it below!
- Arsenal Break Silence On Stars Filmed Doing 'Hippy Crack'
- Manchester United v Fulham
- What song is playing in the Mortal Kombat 11 trailer?
- Pakistan to bring peace to Afghanistan through dialogue, PM says