After undergoing surgery on a brain injury, Adonis Stevenson is in a stable but critical condition. He was ahead on two of the judges' cards and tied on the third when he was abruptly stopped. He suffers from severe traumatic brain injury.
"Mr Stevenson underwent surgery on the night of Saturday to Sunday and has since been hospitalised in the intensive care unit", said Dr Alexis Turgeon, a specialist in intensive care medicine at the Enfant-Jesus Hospital of the CHU de Quebec-Universite Laval. Although critical, his situation remains stable under the circumstances.
Stevenson was taken from the ring and instantly transported to the hospital where doctors have no doubt been frantically working to stabilize his condition for now.More news: Dan McCready withdraws concession in House race amid fraud allegations
"His condition requires mechanical respiratory assistance, deep sedation and specialized neurological monitoring".
Stevenson's partner, Simone God, also made her first public comments Tuesday, thanking people for their messages of support.
Stevenson was dominated nearly from beginning to end by Gvozdyk, who unloaded a barrage of punches that sent the Canadian champion reeling before landing his knockout blow in the 11th.Gvozdyk claimed the belt in his first shot at a major title.More news: China confident of agreeing United States trade deal despite Trump's combative stance
According to the hospital, Stevenson's family asked for the doctor to provide an update because it has been inundated with requests, as has Yvon Michel, Stevenson's longtime promoter.
On Tuesday, Gvozdyk took to Instagram to offer a few words of encouragement to Stevenson. "I know you'll pass through it".More news: What song is playing in the Mortal Kombat 11 trailer?
- Asian markets ease as doubts emerge over US-China trade war truce
- Why have seals been getting eels stuck up their noses?
- USS McCampbell, U.S. Navy destroyer, challenges Russian Federation in Sea of Japan
- Ocasio-Cortez Promises $15-an-hour Intern "Living Wage" (Math & Economics Disagree)
- Love Island winners Dani Dyer and Jack Fincham break-up
- CNN’s NYC Headquarters Evacuated After Bomb Threat
- Arsenal Break Silence On Stars Filmed Doing 'Hippy Crack'
- Warren: Fury is Number 1 With Wilder, Joshua Now Sits at 3rd
- Why Christmas Tree Farms Are Blaming Shortage on 2008 Recession
- Infighting hits Merkel's party before vote on successor