However, a new coalition government is taking office in the Grand Duchy - promising the abolishment of train, tram and bus tickets next summer.
The country's capital Luxembourg City, suffers from chronic traffic congestion despite being home to just 110,000.
The transport policy was formulated in response to the traffic congestion being experienced in landlocked Luxembourg.
The Old Quarter is a UNESCO world heritage site
A study suggested that drivers in the capital spent an average of 33 hours in traffic jams in 2016.
Some 400,000 commuters flock to the city for work while 200,000 from neighbouring cross the border France, Germany and Belgium every day. Earlier this year, a new initiative allowed people under 20 years to travel for free and commuters to only pay €2 (about $2) for up to two hours of travel, which covers most of the tiny country.
Luxembourg has increasingly shown a progressive attitude to transport.More news: O2 investigating network data problems
If Luxembourg's newly elected government keeps its campaign promises, residents will be able to use public transportation for free, spend the money saved on legal cannabis, and smoke it on two new public holidays.
There is already free transport for under 20s while secondary school students can use free shuttles between schools and their homes.
At the start of this month, a number of Ireland's public transport fares changed, with a few of them doing so for the worse.More news: Fears growing for backpacker Grace Millane missing in New Zealand
As the paper noted, however, some of the finer points of the plan have yet to be ironed out, including whether trains will still have first and second class compartments and if so, if riders will be charged in those cases.
Opinion polls before October's poll had indicated that the Christian Social People's party (CSV) - led for 19 years by the European Commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker - would end Bettel's five years as prime minister.More news: IPL 2019: Over 1000 Cricketers Register For the Mega Auctions
- Samsung patent describes behind-display fingerprint scanner for phones and watches
- Oil prices skid amid global stock market slump, swelling USA supply
- Denver Nuggets edge Toronto Raptors 106-103
- Canada arrests Huawei CFO on request of U.S. authorities
- SpaceX Suffers Malfunction in Landing of Falcon 9 ISS Resupply Mission
- WATCH KPRC2's special 'Remembering Houston's President, George H.W. Bush'
- Rouhani: If US blocks Iran’s oil exports, will close trade route
- British telco to strip China's Huawei from core networks, limit 5G access
- US Marine aircraft suffer 'mishap' off Japanese coast, search-and-rescue underway
- Canada arrests CFO of China's Huawei Technologies