At least two people were killed and many more injured in the terror attack outside police headquarters in Chabahar. Ansar al-Furqan is known to operate in Iran's southeastern Sistan and Baluchistan Province, which sees occasional attacks by Baluch separatists and drug traffickers.
The blast near Chabahar's police headquarters on Shahid Rigi Boulevard has been confirmed by Mohammad Hadi Marashi, the deputy security chief of the province. "Three people were killed and some others were injured", Chabahar's governor Rahmdel Bameria told state TV.
"Police stopped the explosive-laden vehicle and started firing at the driver. who then set off the explosion near the police headquarters in Chabahar", said Bameri.
The report went on to say that shooting could also be heard in the city.More news: Golden Globes' 2019 Hosts Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg Elicit Excitement
Iranian authorities have not identifed the perpetrator yet.
Videos posted online by Iranian news agencies, purportedly from Chabahar, showed thick smoke rising in the area after the blast.
Chabahar city is around 100 km from Iran's border with Pakistan.
"Iran will bring terrorists and their masters to justice", he wrote on Twitter.More news: After 2bn km space journey, NASA craft reaches ancient asteroid
In 2010, two suicide bombers killed at least 28 people, including some of the elite Revolutionary Guards, at a Shi'ite mosque in southeast Iran, an attack Iranian leaders said was backed by the United States. In September, gunmen dressed as soldiers attacked a military parade in Ahvaz, killing and injuring dozens.
It said India condemned the "despicable terror" attack.
In June a year ago, IS militants attacked parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the leader of the 1979 Islamic Revolution, killing at least 18 people and wounding more than 50.More news: Apple finally releases its first official case for iPhone XR
- Oil prices skid amid global stock market slump, swelling USA supply
- Luxembourg set to become first country to provide free public transport
- Looks Like a New Far Cry Will Be Announced Early Friday Morning
- Joshua calls out 'fool' Wilder and Fury
- Russian HIV Patients Deal With Persistent Stigma As Incidence Rises
- Bug Results In Fallout 76 Users Seeing Other People's Support Tickets
- Donald Trump-China trade deal unravels
- WATCH KPRC2's special 'Remembering Houston's President, George H.W. Bush'
- Google confirms Allo will shutdown in March
- Kate and William visit military personnel at RAF base in Cyprus