Beyoncé, Oprah Winfrey, Naomi Campbell, Pharrell Williams, Trevor Noah, Usher and other worldwide stars gathered in Johannesburg on Sunday for a charity concert honouring Nelson Mandela a century after he was born.
They joined the likes of Jay Z, Beyonce, Pharrell, Coldplay, Usher, Ed Sheeran and Cassper Nyovest for the festival, hosted by the South African duo of Trevor Noah and Bonang Matheba. Many people got tickets to the concert through charity work and petition-signing.
It was launched by the Motsepe Foundation to not only celebrate the centenary year of former president Nelson Mandela but also honour his legacy in the fight to end "extreme poverty".More news: This simple test could one day tell you if you have cancer
"There is no need to blame South African police that there was no Uber, there was no transport and all that - that should be asked from the organisers", said police minister Bheki Cele who called on victims of crime to come forward. "We as stadium management were not involved in the safety and security of the event as we would normally have been as we did with the Guns N' Roses concert last week Thursday", Grobbelaar said.
Two days after the historic Global Citizen Festival at FNB Stadium, CCTV footage has emerged that shows the extent of the hours-long crime spree at a Sasol garage opposite the venue. South Africa, where white minority rule ended a quarter-century ago, is struggling with one of the world's highest rates of income inequality.
Police arrested one suspect after a mobile phone was stolen, Brigadier Vish Naidoo said.More news: Soros-founded school says it is being forced out of Hungary
Global Citizen and the House of Mandela said on Monday that they were "deeply disturbed" by the reports of criminal attacks on concert-goers.
Also in 2013, thieves made off with cash takings at the stadium after a Justin Bieber concert.More news: 1st baby born using uterus transplanted from deceased donor
- Macron caves in as yellow vest protesters get taste for blood
- Huawei's quickly closing the global phone sales gap to Samsung
- All 8 Cities And Stadiums Confirmed For New XFL Teams
- Microsoft throws shade at the iPad, calls it a fake computer
- David Attenborough's Dire Climate Warning: ‘Our Greatest Threat In Thousands Of Years'
- America's Next Top Model star Jael Strauss dead
- Pokemon GO is finally getting player-vs-player battling
- Flu season hits MS ; health officials provide recommendations
- Tom Cruise Is Going To War With A Setting On Your TV
- Chevrolet Silverado HD looks as brutish and bulky as ever