Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Saturday revealed that Russian dictator Vladimir Putin attempted to meddle in America's 2018 midterm elections.
Asked if U.S. -Russian ties had become more strained since he took over the Pentagon past year after Trump became president, Mattis said, "There's no doubt the relationship has worsened".
Referring to last week's naval confrontation near the Crimean peninsula, in which Russian ships seized three Ukrainian ships and two dozen Ukrainian sailors, Mattis criticized what he called Russia's "brazen" violation of a treaty with Ukraine.More news: Tour vlog reveals Stormi gets her own room on Travis Scott’s tour
"What we are seeing Putin do with his ripping up of worldwide agreements. we're dealing with someone that we simply can not trust", the Pentagon chief added. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the canceled Trump-Putin meeting a missed opportunity, saying it didn't "help settling a number of important worldwide problems".
"What we witnessed this weekend is yet another reckless Russian escalation" of what began with Russia's seizure of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and its ongoing support for separatists in eastern Ukraine, said outgoing U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley in response to the actions. It also has prompted global concern and renewed Western criticism of Russian Federation. Asked how the USA can deter further Russian confrontation, the former Marine general placed the blame for worsening relations all on the Russian president.
"Mr. Putin is clearly a slow learner". "He is not recognizing that what he is doing is actually creating the animosity against his people. He is not acting in the best interest of the Russian people".More news: Portland, Sporting Kansas City to meet for spot in MLS Cup
"We'll do whatever is necessary to defend them".
The U.S. defense chief also made passing reference to the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty, a 1987 agreement known as the INF, that Washington has accused Moscow of violating.
The remarks by Mattis at a security forum in California came a day after President Donald Trump held informal talks with Putin on the sidelines of the Group of 20 industrialized nations meeting in Argentina. Moscow denies any violation.More news: Bush’s final words revealed as America mourns dead president
- Marco Silva feels Merseyside derby defeat was harsh on Everton
- Iran FIRES ballistic missile capable of carrying multiple warheads
- Claire Foy, Jason Momoa and Matt Damon to Host Saturday Night Live
- How to Join a Posse/Group in Red Dead Online
- Payless Shoes Dupes Buyers into Buying Discounted Shoes at Luxury Prices
- Quebec boxer Adonis Stevenson in critical condition after knockout
- DJ Khaled, Floyd Mayweather charged for illegally promoting fraudulent ICOs
- Eagles Interested in Claiming Kareem Hunt Off Waivers
- WATCH Tyson Fury's Miraculous 'Rise From the Dead' After Violent Knockdown
- Latin America Energy, Oil and Gas, News and Information