Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment, made the announcement Friday that the Marvel series would continue for another abbreviated 13-episode season, on the heels of the upcoming 13-episode sixth season.
The timing of the early renewal is likely tied to the cast's option coming up. It also allows for the sixth and seventh seasons to potentially be filmed back-to-back, which would reduce costs.
Its season 5 finale, The End, aired back in May and we praised the episode and said that it "delivered some really powerful moments".More news: Missing Argentine submarine located year after disappearance
While not a strong Live+same day ratings performer, S.H.I.E.L.D. has excelled in on-demand viewing.
Season 7 will feature the return of Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson/Quake, Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May, Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz, Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons, Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mac" Mackenzie, Natalia Cordova-Buckley as Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez, and Jeff Ward as Deke Shaw.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., one of network television's most criminally underrated series, has been renewed for a seventh season at ABC.More news: Cuba Loses its Lucrative Business Leasing Doctors to Brazil
The Avengers director Joss Whedon and his brother Jed Whedon co-created the show with Maurissa Tancharoen, who is married to Jed.
For next season, ABC also has in the works a Marvel drama about female superheroes in the works from Wonder Woman writer Allan Heinberg.More news: United States ‘must include North Korea sanctions relief in nuke talks’: ex-diplomat
- Sabarimala: Hartal in Kerala after VHP woman leader's arrest
- Britain to push UN Security Council to back humanitarian truce in Yemen
- Hailey Baldwin and Justin Bieber appear to confirm marriage
- Gordon Hayward willing to accept bench role if it will benefit team
- Trump to nominate handbag designer as South Africa ambassador
- How will UK agriculture respond to the new climate change report?
- Blockade Chaos: French Protest Rising Fuel Prices in Paris
- One dead and 47 injured in fuel tax protests in France
- Kris Jenner Stumbles Onstage and Khloe Kardashian Can't Stop Laughing
- Netherlands vs. France - Football Match Report