David Hockney's Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures) - perhaps the most recognized piece in the English painter's swimming pool series - fetched $90 million U.S. at Christie's NY auction on Thursday, becoming the most expensive work sold by a living artist.
The previous record for a work by a living artist was set by American Jeff Koons for one of his Balloon Dog sculptures which sold for $58.4m (£45.6m) in 2013.More news: Busted! Russians Caught Trying to Cross Car-Only Bridge in Cardboard Bus
The 1972 painting by Hockney, now 81, is "the holy grail of his paintings, from both the historical and the market perspectives", Alex Rotter, co-chairman of post-war and contemporary art at Christie's, said in September.
With Christie's commission, "Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures)", surpassed the auction house's pre-sale estimate of about $80 million, according to Reuters. With an exhibition at New York's André Emmerich Gallery due to open just four weeks later, the 24-year-old Englishman worked 18 hours a days for two weeks, finally finishing the night before the shippers came to transport the painting to the United States.More news: Roger Federer sprints past Kevin Anderson to top the standings — ATP Finals
The 1974 biopic "A Bigger Splash" documented its creation, and Hockney himself wrote about the painting in detail in 1988's "David Hockney by David Hockney: My Early Years".
"One was of a figure swimming underwater and therefore quite distorted ... the other was a boy gazing at something on the ground", Hockney said.More news: Yemenis, Saudis back peace talks
Hockney had already begun the painting when they split up in 1971.
- Honda Passport SUV making a comeback for 2019
- IPL Auction 2019: KXIP release Yuvraj Singh, 10 others
- Tracy McGrady: Carmelo Anthony 'Should Retire'
- Food and Drug Administration to crack down on menthol cigarettes, flavored vapes
- The Sharp Aquos R2 compact is the first dual-notch phone
- Ohtani wins AL Rookie of the Year：The Asahi Shimbun
- Premier League chief bonus plan 'hugely unpopular' with supporters - fan group
- Best Photography Black Friday Deals 2018
- WinView Games Playbook: Packers vs. Seahawks - Week 11
- John Lennon's killer says he feels 'shame'