Packing a bigger battery and ability to deliver more power to the wheels, the electrified version of BMW's G20 3 Series is a hybrid sedan that you'll actually want to drive.
BMW on Thursday unveiled the plug-in hybrid version of its recently revealed eighth-generation 3-Series. It features a 181bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo petrol engine mated to a 111bhp electric motor that is integrated into the eight-speed automatic transmission fed by a 12 kWh battery.
Together, the two drive units develop a total output of 188kW along with a peak torque of 420Nm, but extra power can be sourced when selecting the SPORT driving mode.More news: CDC: More US kids get mysterious paralyzing illness, cause is still unknown
That'll see the 330e saloon get to 62mph in six seconds flat, and onto a top speed of 143mph.
The new plug-in hybrid also comes standard with an "XtraBoost" system, which uses a high-voltage battery to provide an extra 30kW of power for short bursts. Meanwhile, the vehicle delivers a fuel consumption figure of 1.7 litres per 100 km and carbon dioxide emissions amounting to just 39 grams per kilometre - numbers that are down by more than 10% over the outgoing model.
The vehicle can also be fitted with Adaptive M suspension including Variable Sports Steering and an M sports brake system. The battery sits under the rear seats, reducing boot space from 480 litres to 375 litres, though you can increase the amount of cargo you can carry by folding the 40:20:40-split rear seats.More news: First lady wades into battle over West Wing reshuffle
BMW says that the packaging gain from integrating the electric motor into the transmission means the new 330e is only 15mm longer than a conventionally powered 3 Series.
We're not sure if all the derivatives will come to SA, but in th United Kingdom customers will be able to choose from SE, Sport Line and M Sport versions.
Features unique to the 330e are the standard interior pre-heating and air-con pre-conditioning as well as new digital services to be prepared in time for the car's market launch in the summer.More news: Trump seeks to land blow against media in court fight with CNN
- SRH Release Jordan, Saha, Hales & Brathwaite; Retain Warner
- Like coffee? You may be genetically wired that way
- Bayern Munich opt against permanent James Rodriguez signing?
- Donald Cerrone Teases Fight With Conor McGregor: 'I'm Just Waiting on Him'
- Ariana Grande Has Cut Off Her Signature Hair
- Affordable housing projects coming to Campbell River, Hornby Island
- Grassley, in split from McConnell, favors Senate vote on Mueller protection bill
- Microsoft Acquires XOXCO in Latest Step Towards AI
- David Pearson, NASCAR Hall of Famer with 105 wins, dies at 83
- Celebs share tributes to the late Kim Porter