But the reason I'm doing it: how do you think a... woman feels at the incongruous setting of her underwear being shown in a court? In courts victims can have their underwear passed around as evidence and it's within the rules, hence need to display in Dáil.
A 27-year-old man was found not guilty of raping the teenager in Cork.
Elizabeth O'Connell used the girl's underwear as evidence in her closing statement. That the complainant was "open to meeting someone" because she was "wearing a thong with a lace front".
Many others have taken to social media to protest victim-blaming in the courts, using the hashtag #ThisIsNotContent and posting photographs of their underwear.More news: Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Michigan hold steady in CFP
Niall Carson - PA Images via Getty Images People gather in Dublin for a protest in support of victims of sexual violence. As a result, jurors must weigh the value of such items as evidence.
"But this week another young woman has suffered humiliation in a Cork rape trial", Coppinger said.
Noeline Blackwell, head of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, told The Independent: "The reference to the girl's underwear and the assumption and inference that the jury was being invited to draw - that because she was dressed like that she was asking for sex - does not surprise us".More news: California Wildfires: death toll rises to 49 (official statement)
Protest organiser and Cork City Councillor Fiona Ryan of Solidarity-People Before Profit said people would no longer allow comments such as these to pass.
A unique protest is now underway in Ireland.
"We made a decision to call this rally not just specifically about this case, but ... for an end to victim blaming in court", ROSA spokeswoman Fiona Ryan told The Independent.
"The worldwide solidarity that's been extended to these bad cases when they're exposed will go a long way towards pushing for genuine legal change, and unfortunately that comes from above, but we're going to push from below to ensure it happens now".More news: Family Of Four Charged In Pike County Murders
- Palm Beach forced to start over after voting machines overheat
- Microsoft promises to improve Windows 10 quality
- New Royal Family photos released to mark Prince Charles' 70th birthday
- Softbank approved to launch telecoms IPO worth JPY 2.4 trillion
- Malaysia's prime minister claims Goldman bankers 'cheated' country over 1MDB deals
- Netflix update adds support for 2018 iPad Pro lineup
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Trailer Revealed by Niantic
- Libyan commander Haftar will attend meetings in Italy, not conference - Haftar's command
- China's stealth fighter steals the show at Airshow China 2018
- Artificial Intelligence in Automotive Market Strategies and Forecasts,Overview And Companies