But the reason I'm doing it: how do you think a... woman feels at the incongruous setting of her underwear being shown in a court? In courts victims can have their underwear passed around as evidence and it's within the rules, hence need to display in Dáil.
A 27-year-old man was found not guilty of raping the teenager in Cork.
Elizabeth O'Connell used the girl's underwear as evidence in her closing statement. That the complainant was "open to meeting someone" because she was "wearing a thong with a lace front".
Many others have taken to social media to protest victim-blaming in the courts, using the hashtag #ThisIsNotContent and posting photographs of their underwear.More news: Novak Djokovic shows up frustrated Roger Federer
Niall Carson - PA Images via Getty Images People gather in Dublin for a protest in support of victims of sexual violence. As a result, jurors must weigh the value of such items as evidence.
"But this week another young woman has suffered humiliation in a Cork rape trial", Coppinger said.
Noeline Blackwell, head of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, told The Independent: "The reference to the girl's underwear and the assumption and inference that the jury was being invited to draw - that because she was dressed like that she was asking for sex - does not surprise us".More news: Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Michigan hold steady in CFP
Protest organiser and Cork City Councillor Fiona Ryan of Solidarity-People Before Profit said people would no longer allow comments such as these to pass.
A unique protest is now underway in Ireland.
"We made a decision to call this rally not just specifically about this case, but ... for an end to victim blaming in court", ROSA spokeswoman Fiona Ryan told The Independent.
"The worldwide solidarity that's been extended to these bad cases when they're exposed will go a long way towards pushing for genuine legal change, and unfortunately that comes from above, but we're going to push from below to ensure it happens now".More news: Microsoft promises to improve Windows 10 quality
- Netflix update adds support for 2018 iPad Pro lineup
- Raging infernos spread on both ends of California, killing 9 people
- Nintendo ROM Site Lawsuit Results in $12 Million Judgement
- Channing Tatum gushes about Jessie J in sweet Instagram post
- Amazon in Northern Virginia: So what is ‘National Landing,’ anyway?
- 'Petta' stunning new third look poster and confirmed release date
- China's stealth fighter steals the show at Airshow China 2018
- Woman 'pushed, punched, and choked' McDonald's employee over ketchup, police say
- 'Beautiful man': Melbourne terror attack victim's family share moving tribute
- Family Of Four Charged In Pike County Murders