Of 85 people interviewed, 44 (52%) people interviewed reported preparing or eating turkey products that were purchased raw, including ground turkey, turkey pieces, and whole turkey.
The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.November 8, 2018 / 9:54 PM GMTBy Maggie FoxOne person has died and 164 have been made sick in an outbreak of salmonella linked to raw turkey, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.The outbreak has been going on for a year now, and 63 people have been sick enough to be hospitalized, the CDC said.
"The outbreak strain has been identified in samples taken from raw turkey pet food, raw turkey products and live turkeys", the CDC said in a statement on their website. The infection, caused by contaminated raw turkey products, has killed one person in California and hospitalized 63 more around the country.
So far, one person has died.More news: LaMelo Ball gets LeBron billboard treatment in move to Ohio
IL and Minnesota have seen the most cases since the outbreak started last November. California has seen 13, Texas has seen 12 and NY has reported 11 cases, according to the CDC. Three patients are from households in which raw turkey pet food was given to pets. It recommends cooking turkey to an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees, and washing hands and counters that touch uncooked meat.
At this time the CDC is "not advising that consumers avoid eating properly cooked turkey products, or that retailers stop selling raw turkey products".
Salmonella's symptoms usually start 12 to 72 hours after a person gets exposed to the unsafe bacteria, according to the Mayo Clinic. Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps, according to the CDC. Most people recover without treatment.
People are advised to thaw turkey in the microwave or in the fridge in cold water, which is changed every 30 minutes. Just keep in mind to change the water every 30 minutes.More news: Aerosmith's Joe Perry hospitalized after jamming with Billy Joel
You should also keep raw turkey away from other foods while cooking. "Leftovers should be reheated to 165°F".
Use separate cutting boards for meat, poultry, seafood and vegetables.
This result provides more evidence that people in this outbreak got sick from preparing raw turkey products.
Share this warning with your family and friends!More news: Palestinians injured by Israeli gunfire at Gaza border
- Joe Mauer Announces MLB Retirement After 15 Seasons
- India beat West Indies on final ball to sweep T20 series
- Netanyahu cuts short Paris trip as Gaza fighting rages
- Bruce Miles: Chicago Cubs willing to trade Kris Bryant? Highly doubtful
- Putin says had good conversation with Trump in Paris
- Rex Burkhead returns to New England Patriots practice, Trent Brown absent again
- UK PM draws fury of Northern Irish allies over Brexit
- Rockets GM denies report that Carmelo Anthony will be waived
- Trump defends his decision to appoint Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general
- The Iconic Bachelor Mansion in ''Grave Danger'' Due to Wildfire