At least 30 homes have been destroyed.
"Please, please, please if you are asked to voluntarily leave the area, please do", Ventura County fire Capt. Scott Dettore told CNN affiliate KTLA on Friday morning.
The 101 Freeway is closed in both directions as more than 165 firefighters battle the flames.
Video showed some drivers still traveling on the freeway although fire trucks were blocking most of the lanes. "Please leave the area".
The flames are now threatening coastal areas further south, fire officials said.More news: Stellar Foundation Planning Biggest Airdrop in Cryptocurrency History
Residents of the beachside city of Malibu have been ordered to evacuate as three fast-moving wildfires raged in California on Friday morning, including one that also spurred the evacuation of 75,000 homes near a city that was still reeling from a mass shooting.
An evacuation center was established at Taft High School at 5461 Winnetka Ave.in Woodland Hills.
Crews are doing everything possible to get control of the fire, Dettorre said. "It's going to take some time", he said. The blaze, dubbed the Woolsey Fire, started in Simi Valley near the Rocketdyne facility in the Santa Susana Pass.
It had burned 8,000 acres and there was no containment or expected containment, according to a Ventura County Fire Department update at 3:30 a.m.
- A brush fire that broke out in Ventura County west of Chatsworth prompted mandatory evacuations on Thursday in the Los Angeles County community of Hidden Hills and residents of Calabasas and Agoura Hills were told to prepare to flee if officials give the word.More news: Major League Baseball free agency: Harper to draw ‘historical’ offers
"This fire moved so fast and grew so fast a lot of people got caught by it".
The Los Angeles county fire department tweets that the fire is headed to the ocean, punctuating the message with the declaration: "Imminent threat!"
In Northern California's Butte County, a huge brush fire devasted the town of Paradise, where 1,000 structures were lost. North of Sunset Hills Boulevard, South of Olson Road and west of SR-23.
Mandatory evacuations have been issued for the Point Mugu Naval Base, Camarillo Springs, Vallecito Trailer Park, California State University Channel Islands, Dos Vientos (All areas outlined on map below) and the South Coast (all areas outlined on map below).
Evacuation centers are open Ventura and Los Angeles counties. Thousand Oaks is a 30-minute drive north of Malibu.More news: Thousand Oaks Bar Shooter Ian Long Posted on Instagram During Killings
- WTI Crude Settles in Bear Market, Down 21% From October Peak
- Man Crashes Car Before Stabbing People in Melbourne; 1 Dead
- CVS Health reports good financial results in Q3
- Intense videos show the Camp Fire ravaging Northern California
- Sarkar controversy: Police arrive at AR Murugadoss' residence
- Talks on Afghanistan, never said with Taliban, MEA spokesperson clarifies
- 'Terrorist' on stabbing rampage shot dead in Melbourne
- Susan Westwood Arrested for Harassing 2 Black Women in Charlotte Parking Lot
- Trump’s Pro-Nancy Pelosi Tweet Baffles Twitter: ‘Genuine or Nah?’
- Imelda Marcos arrest warrant issued after failing to appear in court