Early Friday, Cheddi Jagan International Airport reported that a Fly Jamaica aircraft carrying 128 individuals, including 120 passengers and eight crew members, made an emergency landing at the Georgetown Airport.
The pilot reportedly claimed he started to experience technical issues with the hydraulics about 20 minutes into their flight and it forced him to turn around to its departure airport, according to Mr Patterson.
The plane is a much older model than the Boeing 737 MAX operated by Indonesia's Lion Air that nose-dived into the Java Sea last month, killing 189 passengers and crew. One of the aircraft's turbines is seen badly damaged after it apparently hit the barrier.
Those injured are in non-life-threatening condition and being treated in hospital.More news: CVS Health reports good financial results in Q3
"They are all stable and are being looked at", Minister of Public Infrastructure, David Patterson said.
"No reports of any broken bones or such", he said.
"We can confirm that Fly Jamaica flight OJ256 bound for Toronto has returned to Georgetown with a technical problem and has suffered an accident on landing", the airline said.
Boeing delivered the final 757 in 2005 after more than two decades of production that saw the longest-ever single-aisle airliner become a mainstay of trans-Atlantic routes and cross-continental flights in the U.S.More news: Verizon Prepaid makes some changes, now includes autopay discount and more
The passengers included one American, 82 Canadians, 35 Guyanese, one Pakistani and one Trinidadian. The US National Transportation Safety Board was alerted.
The Airline has since said it is providing local assistance and "will further release information as soon as it is available".
The plane touched down at 2.53am, when it overshot the runway.More news: 'Terrorist' on stabbing rampage shot dead in Melbourne
- Imelda Marcos arrest warrant issued after failing to appear in court
- WTI Crude Settles in Bear Market, Down 21% From October Peak
- Mets fire hitting coach Roessler, bullpen coach Bones
- Ariana Grande Stumbles and Falls During Performance on 'Ellen'
- Formula One to race on streets of Vietnam’s capital city
- Stellar Foundation Planning Biggest Airdrop in Cryptocurrency History
- Star Wars: Diego Luna Will Star in a Rogue One Prequel Series
- Talks on Afghanistan, never said with Taliban, MEA spokesperson clarifies
- Mourinho hails Fellaini as United's game-changer
- Norwegian submarine-hunting frigate rammed by Maltese oil tanker