The extent of the victim's injuries has not yet been released.
Police tell the Ventura County Star that the initial report came around 11:20pm local time (8:20pm NZT) that a man opened fire at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, which is about 40 miles west of Los Angeles.
He did say that it was still "a very active scene".
At least six people have been shot, including a deputy sheriff and a doorman, after the shooter stormed in the venue wearing a black trench coat, armed with a "high capacity" gun and smoke grenades.More news: Supreme Court Throws Out Industry Appeal of Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules
Another witness said he saw a security guard being shot as well as a female cashier, before he also fled.
A witness told ABC7: 'I was at the front door talking to my stepdad.
The suspect reportedly threw smoke bombs inside the bar.
A Ventura County Sheriff's Office official said approximately 30 shots had been fired inside the building.More news: Rihanna doesn't want Trump playing her songs at his rallies
Officers escorted large groups of people to safety as they left the area.
SWAT teams have been pictured trying to surround the restaurant.
They said that soon after the gunman opened fire, victims were running to a nearby petrol station to get help.
Borderline, which bills itself as the "biggest dance floor in town", had been hosting an event called "College Country Night" when the shooting occurred.More news: Rohit Sharma overtakes Virat Kohli; becomes India`s leading run scorer in T20Is
- Billboard names Ariana Grande 2018 Woman of the Year
- Senators Players Apologize After They Were Caught Ripping Coach, Team on Video
- Real Madrid fullback Dani Carvajal: Lopetegui best coach I've had
- David Haye Exclusive: How to prepare against a fighter like Usyk
- Virgin Australia reconsiders veteran salutes following backlash
- Trump points to second term as U.S. president
- Trump hopes to meet N.Korea leader next year but counsels patience
- Driver Charged With Killing 2 Children In Park Slope Crosswalk Found Dead
- Passengers Aboard Indonesian Plane 'Revolt' Against Two Tons of Stinky Durian
- Iran Foreign Minister Takes To YouTube Against "Unlawful" US Sanctions