This season Jurgen Klopp's side's priority is the Premier League, where they've started brilliantly, but they still have designs on trying to better their surprising run from last season.
Mohamed Salah fired over the bar shortly afterwards to sum up a poor first half for Liverpool, with Daniel Sturridge also missing an early chance for the visitors when he volleyed over the bar from close range.
A few minutes later El Fardou Ben Nabouhane, Red Star's top scorer, brought a fine save out of Alisson with a powerful drive from long distance. Last season's Champions League finalists must now attempt to pick up points from their upcoming fixtures against Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli to avoid an embarrassing group-stage exit. They deserved it for the passion they showed.
And it has ultimately left Liverpool with real work to do in their final games away to PSG and at home to Napoli. "We need to come together as a team and try to give what the gaffer wants, try to get the spark and try to win games more comfortably".More news: Billboard names Ariana Grande 2018 Woman of the Year
"We had chances but we weren't ruthless enough, weren't patient enough".
Liverpool made it all the way to the Champions League final last season, but this season they are going to have to put it together to just get out of the group stage.
Forward Milan Pavkov headed his side into the lead after 21 minutes and fired a powerful effort into the bottom corner to make it 2-0 shortly afterwards.More news: Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall arrive Abuja
But Liverpool should have been in front in the 17th minute when the ball ran kindly for Daniel Sturridge inside the six-yard box, but the England worldwide somehow managed to blaze over the bar when completely unmarked.
It was supposed to be an easy six points against the Serbian outfit, but the Reds have taken just three. Then more or less straight away they score the second one and then the atmosphere was completely different, you could feel it.
Almost three decades on, Red Star don't have a household name in their squad and needed to qualify for the group stage through the playoffs.
"As players we've got to take full responsibility and make sure it doesn't happen again", Lallana told LFCTV.More news: Papa Gino's abruptly closes numerous pizzeria locations
- Driver Charged With Killing 2 Children In Park Slope Crosswalk Found Dead
- RUMOR: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Icons on PS4 Servers Suggest Imminent Game Awards Announcement
- Virgin Australia reconsiders veteran salutes following backlash
- Northern Districts’ batsmen create world record, smashing 43 runs off an over
- Supreme Court Throws Out Industry Appeal of Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules
- Harvick takes Texas to clinch championship spot
- Real Madrid fullback Dani Carvajal: Lopetegui best coach I've had
- Could Steelers use franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell again?
- Tragedy at Melbourne Cup as horse The CliffsofMoher put down after injury
- Passengers Aboard Indonesian Plane 'Revolt' Against Two Tons of Stinky Durian