While it's far from the first time that scammers have promoted crypto tricks under Musk's name, it is the first time that prominent accounts with blue ticks have been targeted, presumably to add legitimacy to the attempt.
There are other verified accounts which have been used by the hackers which have commented under the original "Elon Musk" tweet but with different names leading Twitter users to believe that this is legitimate.More news: Breaking Bad Is Getting a Feature Film
Several users familiar with the scam attempted to alert the community about these fakes. Also, the compromised accounts retweeted actual Elon Musk tweets en masse to make their pages superficially convincing.
Numerous scam tweets still contained the trademark of classic scams, odd grammatical structures, typos, and a request for money from the users before they can receive money themselves.
This week, however, the scam appeared to go one step beyond the norm, achieving "promoted" status on Twitter.
The scheme was made to appear trustworthy with replies from other compromised accounts of users with lots of followers, including boxer Rayton Okwiri, blogger Sarah Scoop and Swansea City AFC Ladies.More news: Iran Foreign Minister Takes To YouTube Against "Unlawful" US Sanctions
Several verified Twitter accounts were hacked earlier on Tuesday.
Pathe later said its account was hacked "by an unknown third party", saying the issue had since been resolved. It's a common tactic to use high-profile public figures for these scam attempts and Twitter has been fighting a long battle to ban the accounts.More news: In setback for Trump, Democrats seize US House control
While the spokeswoman for Twitter claimed that the company is actively working on how to tackle cryptocurrency scams and that the number of hoaxes decreased by 10 times in recent weeks, the ordeal still raises many questions to security experts.
- Supreme Court Throws Out Industry Appeal of Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules
- Red Star upsets Liverpool in Champions League
- Could Steelers use franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell again?
- Bryce Harper Won't Be Signing With Yankees
- Congress bound, Minnesota's Ilhan Omar enjoys another first
- Trump points to second term as U.S. president
- Trump faces restraints after Democrats win US House
- Tragedy at Melbourne Cup as horse The CliffsofMoher put down after injury
- Six people injured in California bar shooting
- Examine: Morning folks much less more likely to develop breast most cancers