When the new Congress convenes in January 2019, for the first time it will have at least one Muslim woman among its ranks.
Omar, another Democrat, is a Somali-American who came to the US over two decades ago as a refugee.
On January 1, 2009, Rashida became the first Muslim American woman to serve in the Michigan Legislature, and the second Muslim woman in history to be elected to any USA state legislature.More news: Examine: Morning folks much less more likely to develop breast most cancers
She also recognized Michigan's Rashida Tlaib who is also Muslim for winning.
Tlaib's win comes after the 2016 election of Trump spurred a record number of women to put their names on the ballot.
After Tlaib won her primary race in August, she published several anti-Israel tweets, and re-tweeted a fan who declared that Tlaib's "first fight was for Palestine, always Palestine".
Omar, 36, was born in Somalia but fled with her family to Kenya as a refugee when she was 8.More news: Supreme Court Throws Out Industry Appeal of Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules
Tlaib will fill the seat formerly occupied by Michigan Democratic Rep. John Conyers, who left office past year amid accusations of sexual misconduct. "Yes, we marched outside the Capitol, but now we get to march into the Capitol", she wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. He was running Tuesday to be Minnesota attorney general.
Georgia governor's race candidate Stacey Abrams, a Democrat, was in a fierce battle to become America's first black woman governor, and Florida Democrat Andrew Gillum was bidding to become the first black governor of Florida. She has said she would vote to impeach President Donald Trump if given the chance.
The Palestinian-American Muslim ran under the Democratic Party, having previously served six years in the state legislature.More news: Papa Gino's abruptly closes numerous pizzeria locations
- Passengers Aboard Indonesian Plane 'Revolt' Against Two Tons of Stinky Durian
- RUMOR: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Icons on PS4 Servers Suggest Imminent Game Awards Announcement
- Real Madrid fullback Dani Carvajal: Lopetegui best coach I've had
- Virgin Australia reconsiders veteran salutes following backlash
- Trump hopes to meet N.Korea leader next year but counsels patience
- Breaking Bad Is Getting a Feature Film
- David Haye Exclusive: How to prepare against a fighter like Usyk
- Rohit Sharma overtakes Virat Kohli; becomes India`s leading run scorer in T20Is
- Senators Players Apologize After They Were Caught Ripping Coach, Team on Video
- Red Star upsets Liverpool in Champions League