The 26-year-old outfielder, who has spent his entire career with Washington, became a free agent after the season. Now it's just a matter of time to see if he'll take less than the $300 million he reportedly was offered, or if he'll ink a more substantial contract. The deal would have been the second-richest in Major League Baseball history, trailing only Giancarlo Stanton's $325 million contract with the Miami Marlins signed in 2014, and the third-richest in sports history.
The Yankees are certainly known for making big splashes in the free agent market, so they've always been tentatively mentioned as a possible destination for Harper if he does decide to leave Washington DC.More news: Senators Players Apologize After They Were Caught Ripping Coach, Team on Video
Indeed, the Nationals need starting pitching, a catcher and to upgrade their bench.
The Nationals offered Harper a new deal on the last day of the final homestand in September, but Harper's camp rejected it.
Don't dismiss this news as Harper out-and-out rejecting the Nationals. "But I'm not comfortable with the statement that we're a better team without him".More news: RUMOR: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Icons on PS4 Servers Suggest Imminent Game Awards Announcement
That Nationals offer may be off the table in its current form, but Boras rarely lets a high-spending team drop out of the race for a high-priced client.
Thought the offer was $100 million short, there were no hard feelings between Harper and the team.
Average annual value would have been $30 million, USA Today Sports's Bob Nightengale reports.More news: Rohit Sharma overtakes Virat Kohli; becomes India`s leading run scorer in T20Is
The Nationals were willing to make a strong commitment.
- Trump hopes to meet N.Korea leader next year but counsels patience
- Midterm election 2018: Donald Trump SHUTS DOWN CNN reporter in fiery confrontation
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Resigns at the Request of President Trump
- Inventor of world wide web wants contract to make the internet safe
- Rihanna doesn't want Trump playing her songs at his rallies
- Mysterious object spotted in solar system may have been an alien probe
- Billboard names Ariana Grande 2018 Woman of the Year
- Dead brothel owner Hof wins race for Nevada State Assembly
- DeSantis pins hopes on GOP turnout Tuesday
- French police arrest six suspects in far-right plot against Emmanuel Macron