The well-known MA pizza and sandwich chain Papa Gino's Inc. has abruptly closed many of its locations, Eyewitness News has learned.Eyewitness News called and visited several Papa Gino's and D'Angelo Grilled Sandwiches locations across Southeastern New England after receiving reports from employees and customers who found them closed on Sunday morning.The Papa Gino's website shows 97 open locations as of Sunday, down from 144 listed last week.
FOX61 reached out to the Papa Gino's locations in Vernon, Windsor Locks and Waterford and heard a voice recording saying the location was permanently closed. In the Boston area, Arlington, Medford, Malden, Woburn, and Brockton locations have also shuttered; WPRI Eyewitness News reports four Rhode Island restaurants are closed, too. As of Sunday, the location map feature lists 97 stores, including 78 in MA.More news: Midterm election 2018: Donald Trump SHUTS DOWN CNN reporter in fiery confrontation
The company's chief financial officer said the closures, sale, and bankruptcy protections "were absolutely necessary" to keep both the Papa Gino's and D'Angelo's brands alive.
The Papa Gino's pizzeria location in Middletown was one of many abruptly shut down by the Massachusetts-based company. Papa Gino's official social media accounts did not address the closings either.More news: Michigan Voters Legalize Marijuana
UPDATE, 11 a.m.: Papa Gino's has confirmed to the Boston Globe that it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
PGHC Holdings, Inc. said the sale would allow the company to strengthen and remodel the remaining locations, as well as to open new restaurants throughout New England and to beef up its online ordering system. "I was told to reapply to other locations". In 1968, it changed its name, and began expanding around Boston and beyond. D'Angelo is sister company to Papa Gino's.More news: Healthcare prevention plan worthy, but funding an issue
D'Angelo Grilled Sandwiches was founded as Ma Riva's Sub Shop in Dedham in 1967.
- Marijuana Legalization Measure Defeated in North Dakota - Hit & Run
- Indonesia jet had damaged airspeed indicator on last four flights, says official
- Kansas Basketball: Biggest takeaways from win over Michigan State
- Dead brothel owner Hof wins race for Nevada State Assembly
- Inventor of world wide web wants contract to make the internet safe
- Georgia High School Marching Band Spells Out Racial Slur During Halftime Show
- DeSantis pins hopes on GOP turnout Tuesday
- Rio Ferdinand sends message to Man United about Marcus Rashford
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 could soon be available in white
- Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall arrive Abuja