Trump will now go through the process of looking for his new Attorney General, and that person will have to be confirmed by the Senate.
The departure will likely be interpreted by Democrats and Trump critics as the president making a move against the Justice Department special counselor for the Russian Federation investigation because Sessions would not fire Mueller, and could allow Trump to appoint an attorney general or acting AG who would fire Mueller. Sessions' exit also opens up the question of who will permanently fill the position.More news: DeSantis pins hopes on GOP turnout Tuesday
"At your request, I am submitting my resignation".
Democrats have moved gingerly around Sessions - fearful that if he were driven from office, his replacement could curtail the Russian Federation investigation led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. "He will serve our Country well".
The US leader thanked Mr Sessions for his service, and wished him well.More news: RUMOR: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Icons on PS4 Servers Suggest Imminent Game Awards Announcement
During a press conference at the White House Wednesday, President Trump said he is satisfied with the performance of "most of his Cabinet", but left room for major changes in the coming days and weeks.
The move came after Mr Trump repeatedly criticised Mr Sessions for recusing himself from an investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 presidential race.More news: A Breaking Bad movie could come from creator Vince Gilligan
Trump's White House has seen extensive turbulence with multiple high level departures. "Sessions allowed the Department of Justice to function as the political arm of the Trump administration to undo fundamental rights that protect each of us, disregarding years of legal precedent and settled law". He says it would spark a "constitutional crisis" if Trump forced out Sessions as a "prelude" to ending or limiting Mueller's investigation. If Mueller gets the axe, Democrats could claim that it's obstruction of justice and impeach Trump over it.
- Rose back on top of the world
- FDA approves opioid painkiller 1,000 times stronger than morphin
- Nadal Cites Health Setback In Ending Season
- Inventor of world wide web wants contract to make the internet safe
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Missing Character Bug is Getting Fixed Soon
- Passengers Aboard Indonesian Plane 'Revolt' Against Two Tons of Stinky Durian
- Rio Ferdinand sends message to Man United about Marcus Rashford
- Midterm election 2018: Donald Trump SHUTS DOWN CNN reporter in fiery confrontation
- Ron DeSantis narrowly wins Florida's governor race
- EPL: Chelsea identify Premier League star to replace Morata, Giroud