The February violence was over an alleged abduction and conversion of some Christian girls by Muslims in the community.
"A number of people were also killed".
Fifty-five people were killed this week in clashes between young Christians and Muslims in northern Nigeria following a dispute in a market, President Muhammadu Buhari said on Saturday (Oct 20). The violence was temporarily halted by police but Adara youth later mobilised and attacked Hausa residents, burning homes, the sources added. "It is with immediate effect", he said.More news: Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $667 MILLION
The Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has declared curfew in Kaduna town and environs as Kasuwan Magani violence spread across parts of the state.
The incident reportedly resulted from a disagreement over where traders were to be off-loading their wares for sales during the Thursday market day. "The frequent resort to bloodshed by Nigerians over misunderstandings that can be resolved peacefully, is worrisome", said a statement issued by Buhari's spokesman, Garba Shehu. He pledged his government's commitment to peace and progress.
"Violence can not be an alternative to peace". Violence is an ill wind that blows nobody any good.More news: Nikki Haley makes ‘Indian’ jokes about Elizabeth Warren’s DNA test
A similar crisis erupted in February in the area and left more than 10 people dead and hundreds of shops and residences burnt.
The state police commissioner said 22 people were arrested after the unrest.
Kaduna state officials told the AFP news agency a round-the-clock curfew had been imposed in Kasuwan Magani, the site of the violence.More news: Petrol, Diesel Prices Cut For Fourth Straight Day
- Dozens hurt in floor collapse at SC apartment party
- Amritsar train tragedy: Government Railway Police file FIR, event organisers reported missing
- Pregnant Meghan Markle Is "Cutting Back" Her Appearances on Royal Tour
- Italian finance minister Giovanni Tria faces European Union scrutiny on budget
- Bears' star rusher deals with bad ankle
- Los Angeles Rams: Staff predictions for Rams-49ers
- Gatwick reveals 'innovative' emergency runway plan to boost flight numbers
- The largest living thing on Earth is dying
- Amazon creates 1,000 'Silicon Valley' jobs in UK
- BMW X7 - price, specs and release date